Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Suggestions about an Express 2500

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2019, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that you want to haul both people and gear and want to tow I'd only consider an 03 or later 3500 (be sure it has a full floater rear axle) with 6.0 LS based motor, if you look at 97-02's only look at the big block equipped vans (7.4 or 8.1 engines), they are tough on gas but tow like pack mules, the 5.7 small block is fine for people/light cargo, but if doing both and towing it will be a dog and run hot..
Old January 12th, 2019, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

This is my old van on a trip we took to the Tail of the Dragon area.
It was a used 02 long wheelbase 2500 Chevy work van with 5.0 engine that had a “one dead cylinder” according to the mechanic at the local Chevy dealership.

In the front it was me, my wife, her brother that was enjoying the ride on a lounge chair next to the big subwoofer box and my medium size dog.
Behind the curtain as you can see it fit very nicely my big supermoto (mirrors fold into the handguards so no problem there) and riding gear, three mountain bikes and three large suitcases, plus the dog’s stuff.
That van didn’t have a problem toting us up the Blue Ridge mountains nor did it have an issue towing my 21 center console loaded with seventy gallons of fuel back at home to the water and back or fit a couple of 12’ kayaks in the back.

I wrecked it and now I’ve got the long wheelbase 15 passenger version, an 11, 3500 with the 6.0 which is a lot nicer, but the inside will have to be modified if I ever want it to do all the things the work van did.
It is really nice though to have the whole extended family in one vehicle when we go out to an event.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 6:03 AM
CF Beginner

Everyone,

Thanks for you suggestions and help.

I picked up a 2010 Express 3500 LT 6.0L last week and so far I love it.

Now the fun part of wrenching on it and customizing it.

Old April 3rd, 2019, 9:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What kind of customizing? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old April 3rd, 2019, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I don't plan to go too nuts with the customization. The idea is to be able to use it as a work truck to make trips to the lumber yard, home depot, metal supply store and the like. Use is as a passenger van for road trips with the extended family. And have a vehicle that I can carry all of my gear in, trailer a bike or two, and sleep in at the track.

I want to configure it all so everything is removable, bolt-on, bolt-off.

For the track-going customization I am going to install some sort of plywood floor in the remaining area behind the first row of seats so I don't tear up the carpet and have a flat surface to work with.

Then build a platform, bunk bed, of sorts that I can remove fairly easily on which I put an air mattress.

I'll post some photos of sketches as I start working through it. First I need to get through all of the basic maintenance.
Old April 5th, 2019, 8:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's that "remove fairly easily" thing that may not work out as easily as you think. Granted, what I built is a bit more than you describe for your build, and my guess is that you're younger than I (62). It takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to disassemble my bed, and the same to reassemble it. But I did make it so it would come out. I'm interested in what you come up with.
Old April 6th, 2019, 5:53 AM
CF Beginner

LOL. I'm not that far behind you in years . I figure it will probably take about the same amount of time to convert from what I am putting together back to having all of the seats installed for passengers.

After I get through some routine maintenance on it, I'll get my designs together and post them here.