Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Three Battery Setup.

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2020, 11:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

On my 1st van I only had a marine battery and charged it while driving with booster cables. Aside from heat at night I was using a auger on a 3/8 in drill to bore holes and a buckethead vac to suck the sand out.
. I'm a trucker so traveling with luxury is a thing. The 32 in tv was $34 at cash america pawn. 2300w inverter was100.was100.most ezpawn have warranty. Most electronics are samsung. New chromebook at Walmart is 125 w hdmi but no dvd
. My gen is a 2250w 4 stroke from home depot but I actually ordered the 1550 4 stroke which is slightly smaller. Less than 50 lbs and will run 8 hrs on a tank. Very quiet.
I was in Philippines where after a typhoon a powerplant tugboat would pull up until lines were back up. The idea for van.
Btw a big cutoff switch is less than $10 at harbor freight.
Oh the 400w solar setup is from home depot too. I deem it important if I want ice cream and fresh meat on the homestead.
Want a tent woodstove for shanty. Dont think the van can handle it because of the flue issue. But..... a little glowing charcoal would keep it toasty if I'm on the high plains or Colorado in winter. But. $2 a night in gas I can have electric heat. Dang decisions oh, forgot again. I do use a propane camp stove too. Only way to make good banana pancakes

Old June 23rd, 2020, 2:12 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by ray caldwell
On my 1st van I only had a marine battery and charged it while driving with booster cables. Aside from heat at night I was using a auger on a 3/8 in drill to bore holes and a buckethead vac to suck the sand out.
. I'm a trucker so traveling with luxury is a thing. The 32 in tv was $34 at cash america pawn. 2300w inverter was100.was100.most ezpawn have warranty. Most electronics are samsung. New chromebook at Walmart is 125 w hdmi but no dvd
. My gen is a 2250w 4 stroke from home depot but I actually ordered the 1550 4 stroke which is slightly smaller. Less than 50 lbs and will run 8 hrs on a tank. Very quiet.
I was in Philippines where after a typhoon a powerplant tugboat would pull up until lines were back up. The idea for van.
Btw a big cutoff switch is less than $10 at harbor freight.
Oh the 400w solar setup is from home depot too. I deem it important if I want ice cream and fresh meat on the homestead.
Want a tent woodstove for shanty. Dont think the van can handle it because of the flue issue. But..... a little glowing charcoal would keep it toasty if I'm on the high plains or Colorado in winter. But. $2 a night in gas I can have electric heat. Dang decisions oh, forgot again. I do use a propane camp stove too. Only way to make good banana pancakes

I do have a question for the inhabitants of loonyland.. anyone done a successful mod that allows a larger battery under the hood? If I could do that then I may change my #1 welding cable an 3500 lb battery strap setup after I go get a little solar. But having battery cables connection on starter and ground strap to starter bolt hasn't given me a problem in 2 years
Old June 24th, 2020, 9:14 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by ray caldwell
I do have a question for the inhabitants of loonyland.. anyone done a successful mod that allows a larger battery under the hood? If I could do that then I may change my #1 welding cable an 3500 lb battery strap setup after I go get a little solar. But having battery cables connection on starter and ground strap to starter bolt hasn't given me a problem in 2 years

BTW, I called it loonyland only after I read in in a ealier post dealing with various schematics dealing with 3 or more relays/solenoids. I was simply implying there is nothing wrong with the old Freightliner/Kenworth system that used 4 batteries in series. I observed that many people here worry about a little voltage drop probably due to same reason some people panic over a toilet paper shortage. Batteries by their nature are easily tested and replaced. I do stress more insulation and heavier wires if the 70s system is used. Wait-semis still use it with a low voltage disconnect 😀🤣😂
Old June 24th, 2020, 5:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a reply here, then I deleted it. I myself did not appreciate the "loonie-land" comment anywhere near my person, nor my projects. Which isn't entirely fair as I just remarked on a Canadian Forces friends page that I feel like I am living in loonie land as everyone was so ignorant as to the complete ineptness and corruption of the government systems that they were all speaking highly of.

I am not sure of your reference, I know that my plans where commented on at some point in the past because this device and that device cause voltage drops. Which lead me to changing my plans from the parts that I was originally going to use. I grew up with semi-trucks. The manufacture, sales, repairs and parts thereof. I used to play on wrecked trucks as a boy. I am aware of connecting batteries in parallel. I am also highly aware of my own experiences getting crushed by the communist court system while my truck continually chews through batteries at the worst time of my life, at the hardest go in trying to keep myself independent and afloat. I have deemed it crucial that I have a system that starts the truck without fail because it nearly cost me my life. Like I said in my initial reply, we all have different lives, different experiences and different needs. I really do not give a **** if someone thinks I went overboard... as I had plans for this truck that are beyond your scope.. currently, it's not really being used as originally intended, at least not in the capacity that it was intended for as my livelihood has been decimated along with my health, career, etc.

Just try to do me a favour please, keep those kinds of comments away from my person. I have dealt with enough "Mental Health" quacks to last me several life times. I was also incarcerated at gunpoint just over a month ago. It's all an out of control fraud and I don't need that language around me. Just to remove any doubt, I have now seen twenty psychiatrists and I have clean bill of health. There is nothing wrong with me. I even have that in writing I believe. It's amazing what an audio recorder and a website will do for your legal woes, but.. I have been through hell and I don't want to hear that crap. It's fine, you probably didn't mean too much by it, other than that to you.. what other people might do and require.. might seem in excess, but then your needs are likely much different. Anyways, take care.

Last edited by dberladyn; June 24th, 2020 at 5:09 PM.