Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Van-ity

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2021, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van-ity

Ok so I have a 90 G20. I had a bad cell in the battery. So I had to make do with it jumping it off most of the time to come and go. On the way to work, I hear this loud shrill humming and the van cuts off, I popped the hood and the battery had exploded.. battery acid everywhere.. so I brought it home and replaced the battery. Clunk. Nada. Took of the starter. Tested it, it failed. Thought to myself, boom figured it out. Nope, installed new starter and did the shimmy dance with it. And the most I get are a clunk, or rapid click click clicks.. I don't know what to do at this point. As I have looked at the flywheel and the teeth seem to be ok. But it shut off quickly and I'm thinking maybe it got stuck in rotation or in cycle. This thing is my home most of the time as it's solar powered for living purposes, and it's my daily. I'm mechanically reclined so please sit me up here. Please help.
Old June 24th, 2021, 1:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

mechanically reclined 😆 me too.
Do you have a multimeter? Try probing voltage at the ignition switch, starter relay, starter motor etc.
Make sure battery cables are clean and tight. Check the ground strap on the engine too.
Old June 25th, 2021, 10:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Boy it would have sure been cheaper to replace that battery.

Have we checked anything else? Is the alternator bad? Will the motor turn over? Maybe you blew the engine too.