Express, Savana & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse.

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Wipers only work on high - '05 Express 3500

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2020, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Wipers only work on high - '05 Express 3500

Hey folks,

Recently purchased a 2005 Chevy Express 3500. Here's the problem: The wipers only work on high, and the washer fluid pump doesn't work either. Here's what I've done so far (in order)

- I'd read in other forums that often this (or similar wiper issues) was caused by a bad solder joint in the wiper board, so I took that out and had a good look at it - it *seemed* fine with nothing loose, wobbly or cracked.
- Then, I put the board back in, turned on the wipers (to high) and shut the car off while the wipers were halfway up the windshield and therefore not in the closed position. I disconnected the harness from the board, turned the car to accessory mode and checked each contact (in the harness coming from the wiper/turn signal switch) w/ a multimeter. I got 12v one one of the wires, and nothing on any other wire. This didn't change, regardless of what wiper setting I selected on the switch.
- Checked the wiper fuse with the multimeter - didn't look blown. Can't remember if we checked to see if we were getting power, but we swapped it with the AC fuse (cause we know the AC works). Still nothing.
- So, we figured if we weren't getting power to the board that it might be a switch problem - since neither the other wiper speeds nor the pump were working.
- Installed a new switch. No change to the problem - wipers still only work on high, pump doesn't work either.

SO, now I'm thinking there are a few potential sources of the issue:
- It actually IS a board issue
- The fuse IS blown and I just did a crappy job of looking at/testing it
- Bad connection between board and motor

Now I can't figure out if I should replace the fuse (cheap), buy a new board (~$40) or buy a new motor and board module (~$200). OR, is it a sign of a bad BCM? (No other symptoms suggesting bad BCM).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old January 23rd, 2020, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Probably not the fuse as it works on high. Would expect the fuse to cause total power loss.
Doubt it's the motor cuz it works on high as well
If I was throwing parts I would get the board.
My 93 Sub had a wiper problem years ago and needed a new board as well. Easy fix, still works well today
Old January 23rd, 2020, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

That's what I was thinking too as far as the fuse/motor goes - there's obviously still SOME power. Thanks man - will try the board and hope that solves it.
Old January 24th, 2020, 1:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 667 Likes on 605 Posts

cracks in solder joints can be very hard to see. You'd have to put the board under a magnifier and inspect it closely. You could also just touch up each joint with the soldering iron to reflow it.
The following 2 users liked this post by mountainmanjoe:
ErikaM (January 24th, 2020), Rednucleus (January 24th, 2020)
Old January 27th, 2020, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

After all that, it was a tiny broken wire between the fuse box and the motor. Soldered that back together and we're good as new!
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (January 27th, 2020)