Motor Advice on a Chevy Avalanche - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Forum Notice Stop in here to get the latest on CF happenings! This is also the place to get some information about site usage and the rules of the forum. Only staff and those permitted by the staff may post a new topic in this section. For permission to post something here, contact EvansBlue.

Motor Advice on a Chevy Avalanche

Old November 20th, 2017, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Motor Advice on a Chevy Avalanche

Hi all,
I had bought a used 2003 Chevy Avalanche couple of months ago. It has around 225K miles on it. I tried turning it on this morning and the motor was making a loud thudding noise and it would shut off. Then i got it towed to the dealership and they said the motor is done. They quoted me almost 8k for getting a crate motor including motor. I def do not want to spend that much money. I have read a lot of conversations on the forums and still a little confused if 1) i should buy a crate motor and get it installed? The dealership said they would install whatever motor i bought. It would cost between $2000-$2500 for labor. They quoted $4200 on the GM engine. I could possibly get something cheaper online. If so, what is the best place to buy?
2) or just rebuild the motor i have?
Obviously I am looking for the cheapest and best option. I just don't want to spend $8 k on this truck. After reading on forums, i feel comfortable spending $3k-$4k. Please advice..
Thanks a lot!

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: