Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

04 Suburban 5.3 4x4 no start

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2018, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Suburban 5.3 4x4 no start

Ok, I'm stumped. I have an 04 Suburban that ran like a champ till the other day. Turned a corner, truck lost power and died. Put a new battery in, nothing. New alternator, could hear bearing, nothing. Cables look good, starter tested good. Haven't tried to start it. What am I missing? Swapped starter relay and still same thing, one click, and then it acts like the battery is dead. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
Old November 4th, 2018, 1:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

So you are saying you turn key to start, get a click but no starter motor. Even if starter tests good it can be bad - but that would not account for you truck dying while driving.
What do you mean, "haven't tried to start it"
What do gauges show with key on
Old November 4th, 2018, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Yes sorry .I get a single click that sounds like it comes out of the starter area. Not sure where the other part came from .I'm at work doing this on my phone
Old November 4th, 2018, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Gauges read fine. When I try to turn it over again it clicks then acts like the battery is dying
Old November 4th, 2018, 4:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Try having a helper hold key in start position and give the starter a rap with a hammer. If it goes time for a new starter
Old November 4th, 2018, 4:26 PM
CF Beginner

I was thinking it could be the starter that's why I pulled it and had it tested at AutoZone. Not sure how reliable a bench test would be since there wouldn't be a load