Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1937 Chevy 216 carburetor problem

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2021, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1937 Chevy 216 carburetor problem

Hi! New member here.

I have been working on an all original '37 Chevy pickup for 3 years. I did a body off frame resto, and took it down to the last nut and bolt. The truck is back together with the original 216 engine, 3 speed manual transmission and rear end. The engine starts at the first crank, and runs ok at top speed of 40 mph. However, when going through the gears at part load, the engine runs rough. The engine also wants to die when you come up to a full stop at a red light. But it will restart.The single barrel Carter W1 carburetor was restored by The Old Carb Doctor. When we started the engine, we tried to adjust the fuel/air mixture. Turning the fuel/air adjustment screw all the way in or out made no difference whatsoever in the engine speed or smoothness of running. I removed the carb and sent it back to The Old Carb Doctor a second time. He has disassembled it and cannot find anything wrong with it. After I removed this carburetor, I noticed the heat riser spring was broken and hanging by a thread. I bought a new spring and now the heat riser valve opens and closes as it should.

We checked for vacuum leaks by spraying brake fluid on the carb gaskets, hoses to the carb, etc., and found none.

I wanted to ask the forum if the heat riser being closed constantly and the intake manifold heated constantly could cause the rough running at part load. Or, is there something else the Carb Doctor should check? We replaced the fuel pump with a new one during the resto.

The truck was saturating the spark plugs with fuel, and the plugs were replaced. But doesn't that mean something is out of whack with the carb?

Any ideas? This is the last part of the project before it is finished. I sure appreciate any guidance the forum members might be able to give. The truck has been driven maybe 25 miles since the start-up of the rebuilt engine, around the block once and to/from the repair shop twice.

Thanks in advance!

Jack
Old May 3rd, 2021, 6:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by jackltylerjr@gmail.com
Hi! New member here.

I have been working on an all original '37 Chevy pickup for 3 years. I did a body off frame resto, and took it down to the last nut and bolt. The truck is back together with the original 216 engine, 3 speed manual transmission and rear end. The engine starts at the first crank, and runs ok at top speed of 40 mph. However, when going through the gears at part load, the engine runs rough. The engine also wants to die when you come up to a full stop at a red light. But it will restart.The single barrel Carter W1 carburetor was restored by The Old Carb Doctor. When we started the engine, we tried to adjust the fuel/air mixture. Turning the fuel/air adjustment screw all the way in or out made no difference whatsoever in the engine speed or smoothness of running. I removed the carb and sent it back to The Old Carb Doctor a second time. He has disassembled it and cannot find anything wrong with it. After I removed this carburetor, I noticed the heat riser spring was broken and hanging by a thread. I bought a new spring and now the heat riser valve opens and closes as it should.

We checked for vacuum leaks by spraying brake fluid on the carb gaskets, hoses to the carb, etc., and found none.

I wanted to ask the forum if the heat riser being closed constantly and the intake manifold heated constantly could cause the rough running at part load. Or, is there something else the Carb Doctor should check? We replaced the fuel pump with a new one during the resto.

The truck was saturating the spark plugs with fuel, and the plugs were replaced. But doesn't that mean something is out of whack with the carb?

Any ideas? This is the last part of the project before it is finished. I sure appreciate any guidance the forum members might be able to give. The truck has been driven maybe 25 miles since the start-up of the rebuilt engine, around the block once and to/from the repair shop twice.

Thanks in advance!

Jack
Running rich is fuel air mixture issue. If you are not getting any change with adjustment, my suggestion is the air jet is plugged, there for rich, and no change when moving the screw either way.
Old May 7th, 2021, 2:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3. Car steel floor jack – 2 Ton

• It is the best steel floor jack for oil and tiers change
  • Can easily lift the car anywhere. On rocky ground, etc.
  • The low height of the floor jack is ( 3.5 ) and the high height is ( 18.5 )
  • Dual pumping pistons – yes
  • Quick-release and lift
  • Very safe and secure
  • Made by artisan
  • The weight of the jack is: 67.2 pounds
  • The size of the jack is: 26 inch
  • The material of jack is: Steel
  • 12 months of warranty
  • The rank of seller: Bestsellers rank

This is one of the best and most purchased steel floor car jacks for oil changers and tiers etc in the market, which you can easily use everywhere. This means that if the ground is not clear or the ground is rocky, but this jack will be very helpful for you to lift fast and quick the car.

Most of the time it is difficult to lift the vehicle, or it is difficult to adjust the jack if the ground is not clear, but with the help of this jack you can easily face every difficulty, it will be very helpful for you while traveling for changing car oil or tiers.
for more detail on these types of products please click on the link
https://www.caraccessories360.com/ca...or-oil-change/
Old May 7th, 2021, 7:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 355 Likes on 336 Posts

I would get a different carburetor and try that. I had something similar happen many years ago. I had a Rochester 2 bbl carb that started to run real bad. I rebuilt it and it ran better but not right. I took it to a carb shop and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Later on I was at a Upick yard and saw a carb that looked like it with minor differences. i bought it and replaced the bad carb and suddenly the engine ran great again.
Old May 7th, 2021, 9:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

If the float needle and seat were all brass , this would not apply, but if the needle has a rubber tip on it , unleaded gasoline will cause it to swell and provide a lean mixture.

Since the problem is an over rich mixture, look for what may be hanging up when the metering rod lifts and allows too much fuel to go into the engine.Vacuum is what determines how high the rod is allowed to lift . Hi vacuum pulls the rod down to lean out the mixture at idle. When vacuum is lowered the spring allows the rod to lift and provide more fuel.

Last edited by hanky; May 7th, 2021 at 9:18 AM.