Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1978 C10 Bad engine? // Voice of reason

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2015, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 C10 Bad engine? // Voice of reason

Hi-

I'm new to this forum and new to Chevy truck ownership. I bought this truck; it immediately overheated. I have spent the last two months diagnosing and repairing what I believed to be the problem myself—cracked heads. After many a gasket, used replacement heads, and a thorough cleaning, I got it running, but it still runs hot as hell.

The heads looked good. Clean, smooth, all parts accounted for. I haven't ruled them out as the culprit, but I still think I'm now left with a bad engine block.

I'm certain many have been down this path before, and while I know these issues come with the territory, but I'm at a crossroads, and I need a voice(s) of reason.

Is it worth it to nickel and dime this truck back into shape with something as expensive as a new engine? If it's not the engine, then what? How far does the rabbit hole go? Should I cut my losses and sell the vehicle to someone more capable? I'm happy to invest time into this thing, but money is a different story.

Loaded questions, I know, but I'm just looking for some veteran advice. Thanks!

Chevrolet
1978 C10
RWD
V8 - 5.7L 350 small block
Longbed
Old August 25th, 2015, 7:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on keeping the truck then yes make the repairs, a good looking and running older truck is worth the turned heads and compliments.

If you do not plan on keeping the truck for a while then do what you feel necessary to sell it.

I have a 95 C1500 and do not plan on ever getting rid of it so I am investing the nickels and dimes to keep my truck in good order.