Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

It just accelerates for no reason!!!!! TAHOE IS POSSESSED!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It just accelerates for no reason!!!!! TAHOE IS POSSESSED!!!!!

I'm posting this everywhere I can find a tahoe forum. Hopefully someone has an answer!

I have a serious problem with my 2001 Tahoe (2 wheel drive LS with a 5.3L engine - auto trans). I sit at a traffic light and it will just accelerate hard for about 2-4 seconds without me touching the gas pedal!!!! Then I have to hit the brake pedal really hard which makes the ABS kick in resulting in a brake pedal that grounds (almost like the brake line was just cut!) TOTALLY FREAKS ME OUT!!! WHAT THE F?!?!?!

It's happened twice already!!! I took it to the mechanic and they said nothing is wrong with it. Can you imagine sitting at an intersection and your Tahoe just takes off on you? Please tell me there is a logical explanation for this and the car is not possessed. I may have to burn it!

Maybe this has something to do with it?

The "ABS" and "Traction Off" lights keep coming on and off. Is this a separate issue or are they connected or is my HOE just POSSESSED!

HELP! I'm thinking of bringing in the Catholic Church into it. Aren't they accustomed to these things? Maybe they have a forum I can post to for an exorcism prayer or two!

I'm not kidding! Please I need to know if this is some type of electrical or mechanical failure. I don't want to be sitting at a light and a semi-trailer rolls down the road and my tahoe decides to kill me!!!! Or I kill someone at a cross walk!
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: It just accelerates for no reason!!!!! TAHOE IS POSSESSED!!!!!

Just a total guess....but maybe the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)??? Definately have it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing cause that **** isn't safe. Good luck
Old February 27th, 2008, 8:32 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

In my years as a mechanic i have only ever seen this once as a complaint. Turns out the lady hit both the accelerator and brake at the same time.......

now mind you that was a totally different system thenwhats being used now.......If anything I would say that possibly the pedal position sensor on the accelerator may be reading that your depressing the gas when your not.....
Old February 27th, 2008, 9:24 PM
CF Junior Member

No this is a computer problem for sure just had it happen to a friends chevy impala and after weeks of checking and changing parts the end result was the computer and it has not done it since
Old February 28th, 2008, 1:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1972 F... Galaxie 500 (sorry to bring his name in this forum but God bless him, it had a 429 engine) used to take off burning rubber as soon as I reach 25 mph !!! Turned out that the cruise control computer was messed up. Mainly the accelerate switch on the steering wheel.