Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1988 1 ton van overheating

Search this Thread

Old December 13th, 2006, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 1 ton van overheating

While installing a rebuilt engine in our shop van I went to hook up the cyl head temp wire to discover thet the heads must have been switched at overhaul as the temp sender is now in the R/H rear. Due to the location of the plug on the L/H front we were unable to remove it and install the sender there, so I made a jumper to reach the sender in the rear. When the van is driven the temp ranges from 210 to 245deg. Is this normal for the rear of the head to be like this and do I just need to figuire how to remove the plug and locate the sender in the correct hole. While driving the van with the engine cover off I have noticed that when the head is at 245 deg the thermostat is closed because I can feel the temp of the air through the radiator get warm when it opens then the head temp goes to approx 210 deg. I have also used an infrared tester on the upper hose and it appears to never get over 210 deg while the heater hose off the rear intake manifold will be around 240 deg. I have verfied this with a manual guage as well. I have also checked the intake manifold gaskets to verfy the passage blockoff with the small holes are to the rear. The items replaced on the cooling system include thermostat (2 times) radiator, radiator hoses, water pump, clutch fan, The shroud is in place and the timing is set to 0 deg with the brown and blk wire disconnected however I have noticed that when that wire is re-connected the timing jumps to 22 deg BTDC and I'm not sure if that is normal and the distributor has to be retarted to keep from pinging. Thank you for any ideas as I am totally out of them. Dan
Old December 14th, 2006, 7:38 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: 1988 1 ton van overheating

i would say it is ok the antifreeze and pressure raises boiling temp so you should be ok
1 psi raise it 3 degrees so 15 psi would be like 45
212 is boiling and 212 and 45 is 252
so its not boiling
Old December 16th, 2006, 2:23 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply, you are correct it dosen't boil over. I finally got the plug out by welding a nut on it and I put a second gage in the stock location and it reads 180deg when the back one reads 245deg. I don't know why the big temp difference, but I have decided to act like I never put a guage in the rear and hope it dosen't blow a head gasket. I have put another 50 miles on the van today and it runs perfect so maybe this is normal. As for the pinging I was told that it was caused by the RV cam that was installed not the timing and it seams to have gone away by filling the tank with premium gas. I guess this will be the price to pay for trying to get more power and milage from it. Thanks, Dan
Old December 16th, 2006, 4:01 AM
CF Active Member

cool