Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Suburban 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton (what's the difference)

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Suburban 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton (what's the difference)

I have gotten mixed answers to the following question so here goes. I have owned 3/4 ton suburbans in the past and they all came equipt with 1 ton axles, heavier brakes and suspension, 400 overdrive transmission rather than the 700 and perhaps a heavier frame as well.
I am in the market for a 2009 Suburban this month. I am having a hard time finding a 3/4 ton with the options I'm looking for. I have been able to find a couple of 1/2 ton LTZ's. I've heard that these days the two trucks are the same expect for an upgrade to the suspension in the 3/4 ton. Is this true? Do both vehicles now share the same axles, brakes and transmission etc? What are the differences between the two?
Old September 10th, 2009, 9:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by nycac
I have gotten mixed answers to the following question so here goes. I have owned 3/4 ton suburbans in the past and they all came equipt with 1 ton axles, heavier brakes and suspension, 400 overdrive transmission rather than the 700 and perhaps a heavier frame as well.
I am in the market for a 2009 Suburban this month. I am having a hard time finding a 3/4 ton with the options I'm looking for. I have been able to find a couple of 1/2 ton LTZ's. I've heard that these days the two trucks are the same expect for an upgrade to the suspension in the 3/4 ton. Is this true? Do both vehicles now share the same axles, brakes and transmission etc? What are the differences between the two?
what options were you looking for on your new burb?

the good ole days of 3/4 ton burb with a 44 or 60 up front full floating rear and a turbo 400..they do make some half ton pickups with a 6 lug 3/4 ton rear(sort of like a heavy half ton)i have not seen or heard of them on burbs though.

the frames i think are still the same between the two 3/4 and 1/2 non boxed(1 tons from what im told have a stronger frame)

i dont think the 3/4 and the 1/2 share the same axles,

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- if (window.JS_AD) { JS_AD('TopBanner'); } //--> </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/cg.new.dfp/bg/mod/Suburban;dcopt=ist;type=suv;mak=Chevrolet;mod=Subu rban;yr=2009;sz=728x90;dcove=d;tile=1;ord=5858971? "></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- Template Id = 1 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash) --><!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><SCRIPT src="http://m1.2mdn.net/879366/flashwrite_1_2.js"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- adValidator("header_ad"); //--> </SCRIPT><FORM id=frmSearch method=post action=/search.php target=_top omni="CGA: Search Top" jQuery1252594027850="3"></FORM>

2009 Chevrolet Suburban 3/4-Ton 4-Wheel Drive LS 1LS: Overview

<!-- Template Id = 1 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash) --><!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><SCRIPT src="http://m1.2mdn.net/879366/flashwrite_1_2.js"></SCRIPT><OBJECT id=FLASH_AD class=inlineimg title="Big Grin" border=0 alt="" classid="clsid</OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; September 10th, 2009 at 9:58 AM.
Old September 16th, 2009, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by nycac
I had a 2008 4WD Suburban LTZ with 5.3L 3.73 rear end (awesome car) - just traded for 2009 Suburban LT2 2500 6.0L 4WD 3.73 rear end - needed more guts for towing. Key differences I know of are:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Autoride : awesome on LTZ - not on 2500 (2500 has bumpier ride due to leaf vs. coil rear end)<o:p></o:p>
Steering : little better on LTZ due to rack & pinion (vs torsion on 2500)<o:p></o:p>
engine : LTZ flex/fuel (who cares worse mileage), cylinder deactivation<o:p></o:p>
2500: bigger engine (more HP more torque), bigger brakes, more springs, bigger tires (pressure), more towing capacity, more trans coolers, sits higher, bigger gas tank, can get bigger mirrors (do not recommend unless needed - no power fold) etc.<o:p></o:p>
LTZ vs LT cosmetics : some chrome, some fake wood, wheels<o:p></o:p>
LT2 vs. LTZ has many of same creature comforts (no air conditioned seats, no heater ww wiper fluid, etc. in 2500)<o:p></o:p>
Drove a 2007 Suburban 2500 LT with the 4.1 rear end - great for towing - gas mileage terrible - so went with the '09 to get 6 speed trans, and 3.73 rear end for better gas mileage when not towing <o:p></o:p>
If you don't need to tow over 5/6K lbs go for the 1500 LTZ (drives much nicer). I was not comfortable (or legal) with 10K lbs - now feel very comfortable with the 2500 <o:p></o:p>
you are right 07-09 2500's properly equipped are hard to find. I understand 2009's are only what’s remaining on lots or was on order .. and 2010's can not yet be ordered.<o:p></o:p>
Good luck
Old September 16th, 2009, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

I'm in queens and I have an 07 2500 sub, every option but 4.10's (took it out of inventory on a 0% deal july of 07, at the time they had black and white, both loaded)

I haven't followed it lately but in 07 you couldn't get a LTZ with the 2500. Honestly I'm not a fan of that much chrome (handles mirrors and grill) so I was happy with my LT3 with painted stuff.

I have a heavy foot (I drive 50 miles too and from work) and do anywhere from 60-90 mph (yes 90) and I average like 10.5 combined. For 07 they had the tried and true 4L80E transmission 08 and newer are 6L80's or 90's not sure which but its another low gear and another overdrive. should be a lil better on gas and getting a heavy load moving off the line or on hills.

I bought a 2500 because I tow heavy, usually a fully loaded (cabinets, tools, tires, 3200 lb vette) 24 ft enclosed trailer which I'm thinking it close to 10k lbs. I've also towed avalanches on steel tilt deck utility trailers with another iron block 408 for the avalanche in the back of my truck at the time. (only thing that made it squat without weight distribution)

with a 2500 you get 8 lug wheels obviously, you get massive brakes up front (with 50K miles everything is still original and there's more than half of the pad life left and I'm hard on brakes) and healthy brakes out back, the rear caliper is the same size used on the front of a vette. the front is just monstrous. You get leaf spring rear suspension, vs coils of a half ton. Torsion bar front suspension vs. springs. a 9.5 inch semi floater (1 ton is 10.5 inch full floater) rear axle. larger exhaust with a little more volume than a half ton, but its far from annoying or loud period. Hydroboost brakes (powered by the power steering vs. engine vaccum for the assist) you get a 6.0 motor with L92 style heads (think LS3 vette) and variable cam timing. its around 355/385 for power. Truck moves pretty darn well (of course mine had a blower on it for a while making 537/515 at the tires, but was running a bit hot towing in the summer so its on my buddy's avalanche with the built motor now)

as for mirrors I didn't get the towing mirrors because living in ny, I like the power folding option much more, for towing I bought the slip on extensions which work fine.

There's probably more differences I'm not thinking of, but a 2500 is built a little bit tougher with more weight carrying ability, and more towing ability. This truck has been great for 50k miles of hard driving (had the trailer on it with 150 miles) I haven't done a thing but change the oil.

the rims that come on it aren't the prettiest, but I bought some 20's that actually had a weight rating that wouldn't compromise the towing ability.

My truck came from arroway in katonah (westchester just off 684) very few dealers had 2500's in stock, I searched inventory through the chevrolet website. 2500's are very low production as compared to 1500's you're not going ot have an easy time finding one the way you want in inventory without ordering. Of course something sitting in inventory is easier to negotiate on, I walked in at noon and was driving home at invoice by 5 pm back in july 07 when the market was a bit more in the dealer's favor, its a buyer's market on big SUV's these days.

best advice if you're using a sub like a truck get a 2500, if you're just moving people around and rarely towing get the 1500. But find a dealer with both in stock and drive them both. We were going to take teh 2500 out first for a spin, then a loaded 1500. My buddy that was with me wasn't as up to date on the differences and we only took out the 2500 and he was like this is the heavy duty one with the rough suspension? I said yeah, he said this thing rides great, I didn't even bother driving the 1500.