Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1990 c1500 5.7

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2018, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1990 c1500 5.7

Hello all,
I need some help with knowing what I can and cannot do without tuning. I have a 1990 2wd regular cab C1500 and I like to do a majority of the work myself.

First, is there any tuning required to put a cold air intake onto the truck? I have found several that I like and wanted to boost throttle response and add a few more horses.

Second, I am looking at replacing the fuel pump for it as well and wanted to get some suggestions there. I have never dealt with the fuel pump or any system like that and did not know how easy/difficult it would be, and also wanted to get suggestions on what fuel pumps were good and which ones were not.

Finally, is there any way to boost horse power on a stock 350 without too much money invested? I know the air intake will give it maybe another 10-12 but I was looking to add at least another 20 on top of that. It currently runs about 240 before anything done and after the air intake, I'm hoping it runs about 250. Would like to get it to around 275-280 if possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 12:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mdorroh
Hello all,
I need some help with knowing what I can and cannot do without tuning. I have a 1990 2wd regular cab C1500 and I like to do a majority of the work myself.

First, is there any tuning required to put a cold air intake onto the truck? I have found several that I like and wanted to boost throttle response and add a few more horses.

Second, I am looking at replacing the fuel pump for it as well and wanted to get some suggestions there. I have never dealt with the fuel pump or any system like that and did not know how easy/difficult it would be, and also wanted to get suggestions on what fuel pumps were good and which ones were not.

Finally, is there any way to boost horse power on a stock 350 without too much money invested? I know the air intake will give it maybe another 10-12 but I was looking to add at least another 20 on top of that. It currently runs about 240 before anything done and after the air intake, I'm hoping it runs about 250. Would like to get it to around 275-280 if possible.

Thanks in advance.
You migh open up the exhaust system some for more hp. A new performance camshaft might work too if you dont mind tearing into the engine. Might as well put a Cloyes timing chain if you do that.