Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1997 Chevy 1500 Starts When It Wants To HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2012, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Chevy 1500 Starts When It Wants To HELP!!

So I just bought a 1997 Chevy 1500 sidestep and when I went and looked at it it started right up with out a issue and ran like a champ. I have had the truck for a few days now and sometimes I jump in the truck and it starts right up. Othertimes I jump in the truck and turn the key and nothing happens. All the power comes on, i can hear all the normal sounds, bells, clicks and buzzes. But when I turn the key to start the truck up nothing happens at all, no turning over, cranking or started click even. I went under the hood and tightened the battery post as I know sometimes when they are not tight these older tucks wont start. But that didnt seem to be the problem. I tried to start it earlier today and nothing, then I detailed the truck and after i got done I tried to start it again and it fired right up. Then I moved the truck and left it sitting for awhile and went out and then it didnt start agin.

ANY IDEAS ON WHATS GOIN ON?
Old April 5th, 2012, 10:03 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Sometimes just tightening the battery posts isn't enough. They could need a good cleaning. You also need to check the battery with a load test. The starter could also be the problem.
Old April 6th, 2012, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Battery post are very clean, no corrosion or anything. Battery seems to be holding a strong charge as well. I am thinking it might be the ignition switch possiibly. But havent had alot of time to go out and tinker with it.

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Sometimes just tightening the battery posts isn't enough. They could need a good cleaning. You also need to check the battery with a load test. The starter could also be the problem.
Old April 8th, 2012, 8:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

probably bad staarter or bad connection at the starter.
Old April 9th, 2012, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

I called the guy I bought the truck from and he said that yeah sometimes you have to just keep turning the key over and over to get it to start. Wish he would of told me that when I bought it

Before I start just replacing parts I suppose I might just take it in to get it looked at. Hopefully I just need a new ignition switch cuz I hate changing starters.
Old April 17th, 2012, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

i have ran into that problem on several vehicles mine and friends.if you have no issue's with the battery... yes its defiantlythe starter. and to be more specific its the windings in it, from what i understand. the best thing to do till you can get a starter is. and this in not a popular option but the only thing i found that works is take a cresant wrench and give the starter a few good wacks. not so hard like your hittin a home run but enough to show it who's boss. ( hit to hard can seriously damage the insides). when you give it a good wack it moves the windings just a touch and gets you goin.. most of the time.. depends on how bad the starter its. but defiantly change the starter as soon as possible
Old April 18th, 2012, 1:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Consider the low cost of changing your Positive cable, Negative cable, and

engine-to-firewall ground strap. You're dealing with a 15 YO truck, cable

corrosion starts being an issue in as little as 2 to 3 years.

For about 35$ you can level the playing field.

Let me guess, when it's damp and/or cold-- no start-

when it's warm and dry--easy start--??
Old April 18th, 2012, 8:37 PM
CF Veteran

id lean more to ignition switch/wiring problem, normally if the starters at fault you'll still hear the solenoid clicking

at any case we might as well be talking about the grass growing until you start checking things, can't diagnose online
Old April 19th, 2012, 3:25 AM
CF Beginner

Pretty sure its not the starter, i have tried the wack it with a wrench approach just for the sake of doing so, and it doesnt make a decision. And usually if its a starter issue you will hear a click or something as was previously stated. As far as the wires go I have went thru them and did a visual inspection and they all look to be in good health.

What I did discover is someone installed a kill switch in the truck (found a switch under the dash and was like hmmm whats this for?) and I am pretty sure it shuts off fuel delivery to the carb as the truck turns over when its off but wont start but when you turn it on it fires right up. I havent had time to tinker with it to see if there are any connections in the issue I am having but I dont think its the problem as when I played with it and the car started a few times it worked great as a kill switch which is nice to have.

Im thinking maybe its a safety switch of some sort or the ignition switch its self but just not sure yet.

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
id lean more to ignition switch/wiring problem, normally if the starters at fault you'll still hear the solenoid clicking

at any case we might as well be talking about the grass growing until you start checking things, can't diagnose online
Old April 19th, 2012, 1:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Also, thread search Crank Position Sensor.