Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1997 S10 2.2L Exhaust/Flex Pipe Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2017, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 S10 2.2L Exhaust/Flex Pipe Gasket Question

Hey guys, thanks in advance for your time.

Inherited this baby, did a bit of work on her yesterday to get her running. Found exhaust leak at mani/Flex Pipe flange, not sure if the gasket or flex pipe is the culprit. Pulled the flex and only a metal 2 bolt flange gasket (old but in tact) between the two. No donut needed? I broke one of the bolts off in the mani flange (even though a full day of liquid wrench several times) so pulled mani. Will get that out. Flex pipe has small cracks and flange moves very freely, braid damaged. Pics attached.

My questions:
Is that metal gasket the only gasket needed?
Should i replace metal gasket with the one i bought?
Is my flex pipe broken? I'm an exhaust noob.

Last edited by Stephen Jeffreys; May 13th, 2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flex pipe fix?

Originally Posted by Stephen Jeffreys
Hey guys, thanks in advance for your time.

Inherited this baby, did a bit of work on her yesterday to get her running. Found exhaust leak at mani/Flex Pipe flange, not sure if the gasket or flex pipe is the culprit. Pulled the flex and only a metal 2 bolt flange gasket (old but in tact) between the two. No donut needed? I broke one of the bolts off in the mani flange (even though a full day of liquid wrench several times) so pulled mani. Will get that out. Flex pipe has small cracks and flange moves very freely, braid damaged. Pics attached.

My questions:
Is that metal gasket the only gasket needed?
Should i replace metal gasket with the one i bought?
Is my flex pipe broken? I'm an exhaust noob.

did you ever get this fixed if so did you have to replace the flex pipe ? Does it come off separate or do you have to take whole muffler off and replace?