Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2000 silverado 4.3 engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2015, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 silverado 4.3 engine trouble

love this site , i have a question about my 4.3 engine in my 2000 silverado.
i have had a miss when goin down the road for a while now,but hardly noticeable until it is rainy or damplike outside. also lot better after it warms up.
now couple weeks ago it has started being very hard to start after it has sit a few hours, it will crank and crank but no start. so i been messin with it few days now and found out that when it wont start i can turn key on for like 5 seconds then off then back on 5 seconds then off and it will fire right up, i have replaced distributor and all thats on that , plugs, wires,fuel filter and the miss is little better but still noticeable when raining. im thinking coil may fix that ,but have no idea bout the hesitant start other than weak fuel pump. i know i need to check fuel pressure but dont have a gauge.
any and all suggestions would be greatly apreciated
Old April 14th, 2015, 8:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

the check valve in the fuel pump is allowing fuel in the fuel rail to drain back to the tank. cycling the key primes the fuel rail. replace the entire fuel pump assembly due to the age of the pump
Old April 15th, 2015, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

thanks tech 2. that's what I was leaning toward myself, ive had some tell me fuel regulator or the spider injection system could be bad. i know the sending unit for fuel gauge is bad so replacing the fuel pump assembly would fix that too. could the fuel pump cause the miss too or something else?
Old May 6th, 2015, 7:10 AM
CF Beginner

ok the fuel pump fixed the starting issues,but it still misses when cold or rainy outside. so i figure it is the coil so i replaced the coil and the ignition control module next to the coil and still no change. so now i have replaced the whole distributor,distributor cap,rotor,plugs.plug wires,coil,ignition control module,fuel pump,and fuel filter. so what is left that could cause the miss? when the truck warms up it runs fine as long as it isnt raining.
Old May 7th, 2015, 8:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

possible lean condition from leaking intake gaskets? What does the fuel trim read at idle and 2500rpm?