Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2000 Silverado electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2021, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Silverado electrical problems

I got a 2000 Chevy Silverado and had a sudden problem with many of my electrical systems all at once. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden my dash gauges quit working, my radio quit working, my hvac controls quit working, my odometer quit working. Essentially everything that is powered on when the key turns to the on position is not working. The truck still runs and drives. Headlights, tail lights, blinkers still work, and the power windows still work. I’ve checked the fuses and didn’t seem to find any bad ones. When putting a test light to the fuse contact points there’s no power to the hvac fuses in the fuse box in the cab on the drivers side. I also changed the ignition switch and the instrument cluster and that didn’t help. I tried changing the ecu but didn’t get that programmed correctly so just put the old one back so it would be driveable. The grounds looked fine but I still sanded the contact points between the truck and the body points. I don’t understand how all these systems cut out at once. Took it to a mechanic shop and they had it for two weeks but had no answers for me either. I don’t know if they checked much more then fuses, they seemed pretty busy and not in much of a chatty mood when I picked it up.

Last edited by Mike2000; August 22nd, 2021 at 3:05 PM. Reason: More diagnostic info
Old August 22nd, 2021, 4:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Some systems have a fusible link that feeds certain parts of the vehicle. They usually come off the point where the battery positive cable is attached to a hot junction. Might pay to verify all those connections are good and clean.

Old August 22nd, 2021, 5:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by hanky
Some systems have a fusible link that feeds certain parts of the vehicle. They usually come off the point where the battery positive cable is attached to a hot junction. Might pay to verify all those connections are good and clean.
And to ask? you stated (OP) no power to the hvac fuse, is that the same with the other circuits that are an issue? I'd go along with that, what hanky posted.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

It is with all the systems involved that the fuses are not getting power, windshield wipers are another system that wasn’t included in OP that isn’t functioning properly. I tried unplugging the battery and leaving it off for several hours and when I went to plug it back it the speedometer gauge is now maxed out and the fuel gauge which was reading empty is now stuck on full and it is not a full tank.

do you happen to know where these links would be on this make/model?
Old August 22nd, 2021, 7:34 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Mike2000
It is with all the systems involved that the fuses are not getting power, windshield wipers are another system that wasn’t included in OP that isn’t functioning properly. I tried unplugging the battery and leaving it off for several hours and when I went to plug it back it the speedometer gauge is now maxed out and the fuel gauge which was reading empty is now stuck on full and it is not a full tank.

do you happen to know where these links would be on this make/model?
Follow the + battery cable(s). The fuseable link will be internal to the cable(s). When you read power to the fuse(s), what did you have the ground lead attached to? What you post now, to me, indicates a ground issue. Was this a test light, or meter?
Old August 22nd, 2021, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

I had a test light and it was grounded to bare metal. Tested positive on some fuses but the hvac and wipers were not lighting up. All the fuses under the hood were working.
Old August 23rd, 2021, 7:02 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Mike2000
I had a test light and it was grounded to bare metal. Tested positive on some fuses but the hvac and wipers were not lighting up. All the fuses under the hood were working.
I'd recommend getting a wiring diagram. Did you check those without power with key on?
Old November 9th, 2023, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Partial cluster/heater-A/c/heated seats/odometer/4x4 system cluster not working.

So my 2000 has a similar electrical issue. Granted mine all quits when the battery light pops on solid and then I lose heated seats, cruise control, 4x4 selection cluster, half my gauges (fuel gauge, speedometer, odometer, temp gauge) and my heater-A/c-defrost all quit working when the battery light comes on. Then it’ll randomly go off and all works like normal. I’ve checked fuses & relays all are good. I’ve replaced the battery and alternator etc. I’m at a loss. Any ideas?