Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2001 Cavalier Stalls, Quite the Story!

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2008, 9:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Cavalier Stalls, Quite the Story!

Hey Everyone,

So... I have a 2001 Crapalier (5 speed Manual 2.2 L with 164,000 km) that I've been struggling to understand for the past year. Right off the lot it had stalling problems (my brother owned it before I did) but they were very infrequent. Of course now in it's older age, the stalling problem has become frequent.

I understand the OBDII system and have really only seen two codes pop up over the last year, one was 'running rich on bank 1' and the other was 'EVAP system malfunction'. NOW, the stalling is more prevalant at idle, buton occasion the car will run choppy (i.e. stall and then be restarted by the tranny while the car is moving) at almost all speeds. And this in itself can change from day to day. One day it could stall onceand the next itcould dieat every red light. The 'dieing' part is usually preceeded by an eratic idle. I should add, that in general the car seems to have a tough time idling correctly.

Before I give you a list of all the parts I've replaced, I will also tell you that I have taken this car to theGM dealer a couple times and they can't seem to get it fixed either. Theshop spent most of the time messing around with the MAP sensor, although I've never seen a code or reason to suspect it.

ON MY END...For the EVAP code I replaced the Purge and Vent Solenoids (I have a pick n' pull where I live which is handy) and for the 'Running rich' code Itried first the spark plugs/wires/ignition module. Then, the fuel filter, fuel pump andverifying the vacuum hoses were healthy with a vacuum test.

Eventually in an attempt to get the car runningbetter (when the previous repairs failed to solve anything)I replaced the fuel pressure regulator, both 02 sensors, the MAP sensor, the Air Intake Sensor, the Idle Air Control valve, the Throttle body complete with throttle position sensor, as well as, theair intake andhead gaskets!!

Like I said, if itwasn't for thescrap yard I wouldn't have replaced all these parts, although the gaskets, spark plugs and wireswere new of course.

As of right now (today), the car has no trouble codes and all OBDII monitors are running their checks. Any ideas on what might be wrong with the car? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bsimms