Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2001 Suburban brake problem

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2012, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Suburban brake problem

The anti-lock system makes wacky noises and the pedal feels funny only when I'm braking below about 5 mph. Any thoughts about a fix?
Old March 5th, 2012, 9:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The signal from a wheel speed sensor is probably dropping out. This simulates a wheel locking up and causes the ABS to engage. You'll want to get that serviced. If it can be reproduced readily, they'll hang a scan tool and figure out which one. Otherwise, things get interesting as far as diagnostics go.
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and take it to the big bucks store.
Old March 6th, 2012, 6:31 PM
CF Veteran

You're quite welcome. Hope it's nothing major.
Old March 7th, 2012, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

even i think it is better to take mine to their and get repaired right? because i am facing the same problem.
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by suvyush
even i think it is better to take mine to their and get repaired right? because i am facing the same problem.
Good for you. Now, quit wasting time pushing that "Mercedes Intake" crap.

P.S. Oh, it's now "Car Performance Chips," is it?

Last edited by EinST; March 8th, 2012 at 6:35 PM. Reason: Slime's New Signature
Old April 13th, 2012, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default I might have the same issue

New member to this site and have a 2001 Suburban I really like. I had the parking brake fixed several years ago and since than the ABS and Parking Brake light is on most of the time. Didn't seem to bother anything so never fixed it. Now when I am braking I get this pulsing in the pedal along with vibration from the front wheels until I slow to a stop. Checked the brake pads and they are good. Is this the ABS system malfunctioning?
Old April 13th, 2012, 4:19 PM
CF Veteran

Welcome to the forum. The ABS is disabled when the ABS warning indicator is on. Thus, I suppose the ABS warning isn't actually on during these incidents. Get it serviced (at least get it scanned and go from there). As heavy as the Suburban is, I'm surprised that you've been ignoring an issue that has to do with the brakes.
Old April 13th, 2012, 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

sounds like it wasnt fixed if the light was on after the repair. If you don't have quick access to a scanner I'd start at the rear wheels and look for anything damaged from the parking brake "fix"
Old April 13th, 2012, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the input. I'm sure there was a problem after the brake repair but figured it was a senor issue and just ignored it as we weren't driving it that much. I'll get it checked

Quick Reply: 2001 Suburban brake problem