Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2001 Suburban brake problem

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2012, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem. when stopping sometimes at slow speeds, ABS would go on even though it was dry out and no wheel skidding. I was told by my mechanic that as the front wheel bearings wear, the ABS sensor on those wheels erroneously causes the ABS to go on. I pulled the ABS system fuse and ran for a while with no ABS for about 2 years . problem went away, but of course I had no ABS brake function. Then my front wheel bearings started to go noticibly bad. I replaced them on both sides. Immediately after that, I plugged the fuse back in and the pulsating at low speeds no longer occurs. I'm sure my problem was front wheel bearings going bad.
Old April 17th, 2012, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Suburban abs

I was just told over the weekend by a local auto mechanic to pull the sensor out of the hole it sits in on both front wheels and sand the end cleen and reinstall. I'll give this a try here soon and let yall know the outcome!
Old April 17th, 2012, 7:18 PM
CF Veteran

that'll be a temporary fix at best and on another note if your wheel bearing is bad enough to make the abs sensor get a bad signal it needs replaced