Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2001 Tahoe won't start

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2014, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Tahoe won't start

Son ran my tahoe out of fuel and then it would not start. Put gas in and cranked it until he ran the battery dead. After reading forums I figured the fuel pump burned up so I replaced it, the filter and fuel pump relay. It still won't start. I just connected the old pump to the battery and it ran. What's up with that! Anyone have any thoughts of what I should do next?

Checked all the fuses - nothing. Read one forum link and it said to check security stopping fuel pump from running - no change. Went to the library and read the manual with nothing that would help. Read everything on proper wiring of the new pump. That doesn't seem to be the issue, considering the old stock pump works and the car wouldn't start with it either.

I'm at a loss....

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but while waiting for the tow truck some nice crackhead stole the radio. Since the car wouldn't start while it was in I'm figuring it didn't add to the problem.

Bought a new radio and installed it. Tahoe just cranks no start. Someone suggested disconnecting the battery. That didn't work either. My next step is to drop the tank again and see if there is any power in the wires to the pump when the key is turned. I've also made up some long jumper wires that I'm going to hook to the battery and jump right to the pump to see if the new pump actually works. I'm running out of possibilities and will probably take it to the shop if I can't get any suggestions or ideas.

Looks like ECB 3 was blown. A small 20 amp fuse caused a cascade of issues resulting in hundreds of dollars invested in troubleshooting. On the bright side.... I now have a bunch of new parts on the old tahoe! After reading multiple threads and different problems I decided to check the fuse and sure enough it was bad. Put a spare fuse in it's place and the engine started.

End of story.

Last edited by ksroadrunner; May 22nd, 2014 at 10:04 PM.