Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 3:23 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

2002 Chevy Tahoe + P0171/P0174

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2010, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

azmule, thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into those.

I live in Fergus Falls, so not actually Northern Minnesota, but the upper half of the state anyway.

I'm hoping something you suggest will take care of it, because I am already loosing patience with it. I cleaned the MAF Sensor today and changed the fuel filter. I cleared the codes and drove it around town for about an hour doing random things before work. After work I let it run for about 30 minutes before I left, after I pulled out of the parking lot at work, the light came right back on. I've only had the vehicle since July and it just hasn't been my friend. It hasn't left me stranded anywhere, but it has just been a little pile of work since I bought it.

Oh, something else that I can add that maybe will help you think of something. During the warmer months of the year, it seemed like it would burn a little more oil than what might be normal for a vehicle. I didn't really think twice about it though, because for some reason I just thought maybe SUVs would burn a little more than a car, and I had an Audi sedan before this, so.

Anyway, it seemed like it burned like 1.5 to 2.5 quarts between oil changes.
Old December 14th, 2010, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

So, I broke down and took it into the dealer so I could know what was going on with it since the couple other people I took it to couldn't tell me.

It is my intake manifold gasket causing the service light to come on.

They also looked at my rotors and said they were unsafe for me to drive with.

They also said I have a rear main seal/gasket leak.

They gave me estimates for the intake gasket, and the rotors. The estimates came out to more than $1,100.

I'm happy to know what is causing the problem, but it is going to put a dent in my pocket to fix the rotors and intake gasket.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Does anyone know the correct fuel pressure, at the fuel rail, on a 2002 5.3 liter flex fuel engine? I have the same P0171, and P0174 codes.
Old February 21st, 2020, 3:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jgaff
I also have a 2002 Tahoe that is posting the p171 and P174 codes and can't determine why either. Everything looks good, can't find any vacuum leaks. I was wondering if the oxygen sensor might be getting a false reading? This lean condition must cause the fuel system to attempt to richen it up, because my fuel economy is suffering also. The only time that I have the problem is when it is cold out and I first start it up. It idles a bit rough, but always starts and runs fine, but then I get the service engine soon light.

Has anyone else ran across this problem and if so, what did you have to do to correct it?
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks in advance, JGaff
the intake manifold gasket goes bad pretty often on these motors I just replaced the ones in my 02 tahoe 5.3L because I was haveing the same issue on cold starts the rpm would drop ever so slightly causing a little bit of a rough idle but once it warmed up it would run great I had both bank 1 and 2 running lean (P0171 and P0174) so far the problem hasn't come back it cost about 40.00 and a hour of my time to change but it was well worth it.
Old February 21st, 2020, 8:50 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i know youre trying to help and you didnt give bad info but just beware of the date of the post youre responding to
Old March 12th, 2023, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jgaff
I also have a 2002 Tahoe that is posting the p171 and P174 codes and can't determine why either. Everything looks good, can't find any vacuum leaks. I was wondering if the oxygen sensor might be getting a false reading? This lean condition must cause the fuel system to attempt to richen it up, because my fuel economy is suffering also. The only time that I have the problem is when it is cold out and I first start it up. It idles a bit rough, but always starts and runs fine, but then I get the service engine soon light.

Has anyone else ran across this problem and if so, what did you have to do to correct it?
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks in advance, JGaff
Hey there my 02 Tahoe 5.3 flex fuel does the same thing and I found that if I start it after it hasbeen sitting for more than six hours in the cold you have to start it and make rpms read around 15&2000 rpm keep it there till your temp gauge hits about aguarter oftheway and then take ur foot off gas and by the way u want to wellwhat has worked for me was start the truck on about half way on defrost and thenwhenu get to that quarter o temp gauge switch from defrost to regular heat but I've replaced almost everything and don't know what else to do