Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2004 Cavalier clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2020, 2:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cavalier clutch issue

The car was purchased and would not down shift at all. The lady parked the car and I finally got under the hood and started checking things out. The clutch master cylinder was replaced and we refilled the resevoir and staarted bleeding the clutch. Once all the air was removed the clutch allowed you to shift properly, the car was not driven immediately. About an hour later the owner showed up and wanted to drive the car. She went out and started the car and the clutch would not allow her to put it in gear, you could hear he gears grinding. I called my ASE mechanic friend and he came over and we dtermined that AIR is getting into the clutch system somehow, but it is not leaking fluid anywhere. My question is. How or where can air enter the clutch sytem? The seal on the resevoir appears to be in very good condition and when we bleed the system we are not getting any hydralic fluid into the bleeder pump thaat we are using. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 25th, 2020, 6:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

can you shift thru the gears with the engine off?
Old December 25th, 2020, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No sir, it will not go into gear when shut off or running.