Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2004 Silverado - Starts, Dies at Idle

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2014, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado - Starts, Dies at Idle

Hello all-

Here is the problem, the truck will start then stall immediatley if you do not feed it some gas. If you feather the pedal it will stay running just fine but as soon as speed drops and idle drops to 600ish the truck shuts off. Some back round... He had it running for ten mins at idle this morning to warm up after the ice storm and it suddenly died. He had a clicking sound from the starter so I came to the rescue to jump it. Truck took a jump just fine but died. I thought possibly bad gas or fuel filter. Because we were going to the store anyway to get fuel treatment and filter we got the battery tested too. Battery had a bad cell so he bought a new one. The truck at least starts, but dies. We had it running at higher idle for several minutes to see if the truck had to "relearn" smooth Idle etc but it it never took. We did not do the filter yet cause we leared the filter is supposed to be a lifetime filter and it is in the tank. Truck has 160K miles on it so I still feel it could be that. ANY suggestions would be welcome he does not want to drop the tank yet.
Old July 21st, 2014, 7:39 AM
CF Beginner

Did you figure out what the problem was? I'm experiencing the same issue with my truck and I'm trying to diagnose the problem. I had the battery tested too and had it replaced.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by TroyTx
Did you figure out what the problem was? I'm experiencing the same issue with my truck and I'm trying to diagnose the problem. I had the battery tested too and had it replaced.
Turned out it was the alternator. The alternato lost a" phase" and was only putting out 10 volts. So combination of bad alternator and a battery that had a bad cell that was the problem. Hope that helps.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Not 100% sure what i did to fix it but I did fix it. I had the alternator tested and it was fine. Apparently the truck needs to relearn idle position after a new battery is installed. From what I could find on the internet it needs to run for awhile, probably getting up to normal running temperature then it will set itself. My truck was idling so low that it took a while for me to get it to that temp, didn't help that it was practically undrivable in that state.

The other thing I did was clean off the carbon around the intake of the throttle body. So either one of those things seemed to clear it up.

Hope this help anyone who else finds this thread.