Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2006 Chevy impala

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2015, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Chevy impala

So today my car started leaking transmission fluid upon inspection I found this (picture included) can someone tell me if the entire line has to be replaced and if so the level of difficulty. Also what do I call that line ? High pressure line ...it's located on the drivers side of the car ...thank you

The black fitting around the line fell off ...so this has to be the leak
Old September 19th, 2015, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the plastic cap is just a security retainer for the clip that holds the line in the trans. if the leak is coming down from the fitting the hose clips into....you need a new fitting. show the pic to the dealer parts guy
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
the plastic cap is just a security retainer for the clip that holds the line in the trans. if the leak is coming down from the fitting the hose clips into....you need a new fitting. show the pic to the dealer parts guy
So then I may have not found the cause of the leak yet? The leak is extensive by no means is it minor ....when I saw that and realized I can also wiggle the line at the fitting it appeared to be obvious to me even though it didn't appear to be leaking, my thinking was that it must leak when the car was moving because of pressure
Old September 20th, 2015, 9:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you should be able to wiggle the hose but not be able to pull it out of the fitting. you can install the plastic retainer but it won't stop any leaks. usually, leaks will be either from the fitting that screws into the trans housing or the crimp section of hose where the rubber and steel lines meet.
Old September 20th, 2015, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you
Old September 20th, 2015, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

OK, so drove the car around the block after added a quart of Trans fluid and this is definitely the leak... So I will be replacing the line also my motor mounts are bad, so I believe this may have contributed to the problem because of excessive engine movement putting strain on the lines... Thank you again for your help!!