Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2007 Tahoe LT rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2012, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe LT rev limiter

Hello all,

Recently the engine light came on out 2007 Tahoe LT. We have abut 125k miles on it and no issues. We had the code pulled and were told it was the rev limiter. There doesn't seem to be a problem as we've tested the throttle and can't go over about 4k rpms that it is supposedly set at. It also doesn't stay on all the time but I would estimate its on 70 percent.

So my question is I've done a lot of searching but can't find a part number or information on where the limiter is on our truck.

Can anyone help me with this information? Could you direct me to how to find the part number and or where the limiter is.

This is not the flex fuel engine but it is the engine that manages the cylinder use.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Old November 22nd, 2012, 1:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4K is just what I was able to run, but, I didn't get any Problem code at that time. GM apparently doesn't want you to drive any faster, and your Rev Limiter sounds like it's working just fine.

I wonder if you've encountered the "Reduced Power" message yet...
GM limits you to about 12-14 mph when that happens. And, it doesn't matter where you are. In 70 mph traffic on a Freeway, towing a load up a steep incline, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it,

just deal with it... right ?
Old November 23rd, 2012, 2:27 AM
CF Beginner

How can I find what LT level a used Tahoe is?
I'm looking to buy a 2007 Tahoe LT. How can I found out if it's an LT1, LT2, or LT3? I've asked the sales guy, but he's telling me it's an LT1, I'm finding options that I didn't know were available in the LT1 like bose speakers for instance. Is there something in the VIN that would explain it? The original sticker is not in the truck.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

SWHouston, i believe you are correct that it's functioning okay just the annoying check engine light being on ( have had it checked by computer and nothing else is wrong )... Haven't experienced the reduced power message. Have towed 2 1/2 ton boat for years and no issue.

devid67 - i know mine is a LT3 because that's what it said on the window sticker. Not sure how else to tell. Maybe calling GM with the Vin?

Anyone else able to point me to where the part is?

Thx
Old November 23rd, 2012, 9:26 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to post the code numbers. There is nothing to replace called the "rev limiter". The rev limiter is programmed into the computer and would not fail. If you have received the Reduced Power light there will be OBDII codes stored. From the code # the proper trouble tree can be run (codes DO NOT tell you what is wrong, they only tell you the system being affected) and the problem will be found.
Old November 24th, 2012, 4:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
If you have received the Reduced Power light there will be OBDII codes stored.
It's actually a statement displayed where the Odometer readings usually are.

But let me understand this...
I've gotten the message displayed, and I've learned that if I just crank it up, let it run a minute, shut it off and re-crank, the message will go away, and I can drive normal speed.

However, I have not gone to get it checked out because I thought it would not be able to be diagnosed. You say that's incorrect, and there will be a code remembered that they can follow... right !
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the reduced power light comes on there will be an obdII code as long as you get it pulled soon enough. After a few days it maybe gone.
Old November 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

MDTAHOE,

Ha, you'd think I would know that by now. That message has shut my Burb down NUMEROUS times (enough for me to figure out how to get it going again ) I've had that thing in the Shop so many times, spent nearly $2000 trying to get it fixed, and nothing has helped so far. I just figured that since the message wasn't being displayed when I drove it in, that was the reason they couldn't find the problem. I'll try to get it checked quicker now.

I know you've seen me rant and rave about several things I don't like about the way GM does things, but...

I REALLY love my Burb ! I haven't felt so safe and secure since I had to give up driving those 2 ton Cadillac's (that's because they quit making them) And, I guess that'll happen again, since they stopped making the Suburban too.

Too bad.