Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2012 Silverado V6 Severe engine shake

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2013, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Silverado V6 Severe engine shake

I need some feedback because of this problem. I have a new2012 Chevy Silverado 4.3L V6 two door, 6,600 miles. I bought the truck new inMarch of 2013. It is your basic work truck. The problem I am having is thewhole truck starts to shake at around 40 MPH and does not go away. It is not aslight engine miss. When it starts it makes the truck jump and buck like I amgoing down a log road. It did not have this problem when the truck was new andthis problem seems to be getting worse. The problem is not the tires, I hadthose balanced. I think it is something wrong with an engine sensor or the torqueconverter. I took it to the dealer and he hooked it up to the computer and itdid not show any problems (no error codes). He took it for a test drive andsaid that, Yes, he could feel the shaking in the truck but since there were noerror codes he could not do anything.

That is what makes me mad – he said that the problem isnormal for the V6 engines, they all do that. He said that there was nothingthey could do. He told me the V6 engine was really a V8 with two of thecylinders removed and that it has a balancer to keep things running smoothly. Thistruck did not have this problem when it was new. This is my third ChevySilverado with the V6 that I have owned. My 2004 V6 did not shake and vibrateand my 2008 V6 did not shake and vibrate.

I had hoped they would be able to find the problem and fixit but they did nothing. I think this type of diagnosis is common these daysbecause of the computer sensors. The mechanic said that if it the computershowed an error they would address and fix the problem but since nothing showedup there was nothing they could do.

I have looked over the post on this site and I did find anypost about the 2012 V6 specifically. I know my other V6 trucks did not vibrate,shake and miss like this 2012 and I am trying to find out if this problem isonly with the 2012 v6 models.

I am looking for someone who has had this problem and whatdid you do to fix it. I am also trying to find out if this is a known issue butGM refuses to acknowledge or fix.
RandyC
Old October 1st, 2013, 7:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you notice excessive vibration coming from your V-6 engine, you may need to replace the engine mounts. Fortunately, bad engine mounts do not necessarily spell an expensive repair job or an extremely urgent repair job. If a hose or multiple hoses are loose or disconnected, "violent shaking and vibration" may occur in the V-6 engine. Worn-out hoses are usually an easy fix as they mainly require the removal of a clip ring and the installation of a new hose.