Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2015 Suburban in shop at dealership under warranty

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2024, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Suburban in shop at dealership under warranty

2015 Suburban with AFM/DOD with163k on it finally started ticking. Thank God I have a warranty that came with the vehicle when purchased. The chevy dealer is saying it needs new lifters and a cam shaft and is charging the warranty company after engine tear down to make this determination 9k for the repair and the warranty company has agreed to pay for it. This is after the torque convertor began to shutter and I took it to the dealership, and they said I needed a new transmission. Well, the warranty company shipped a remanufactured one to us so. It is installed and programmed and I am just waiting on the engine repair. I have looked it up and the kit and camshaft to delete Afm is less than 1200 if I remember right. My stepson who is a mechanic said they used to do this all day long for 2k. He said for 9k it sounded to him like I might be getting a new gm motor. We shall see. I will keep this post updated when I know more.

I have used nothing but napa gold filters and Castrol high mileage synthetic when I bought this vehicle with 145k on it so. I took care of it like it should have been.
Old August 15th, 2024, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Dad gum this board is dead. Does anyone post on this forum anymore?
Old August 15th, 2024, 1:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, I think the issue may be that you didn’t actually ask a question - you just told us what was going on. I saw it the day you posted, but had no meaningful commentary to add, aside from thinking you were very lucky to have a warranty paying for all this.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (August 16th, 2024)
Old August 15th, 2024, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

Well yeah I went back and re-read it and I did leave out the question. What would the 9k be fore because I am pretty damned sure lifters and a new cam shaft don't cost 9k.
Old August 15th, 2024, 3:54 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by 2015 Silver Suburban
Well yeah I went back and re-read it and I did leave out the question. What would the 9k be fore because I am pretty damned sure lifters and a new cam shaft don't cost 9k.
You are right. New lifters and a cam shaft shouldn't cost 9k. But with the dealership involved, no telling what 9K covers. While I would think a new motor would come out of that, odds are that may be their fee for just the partial rebuild they are doing. Also, remember we are talking dealer here, and probably factory new parts. Highest labor rate AND highest parts rates. Online, I can buy a newly *REBUILT* engine for a Silverado/Suburban 1500 for $2500 to $5000, depending on what the engine is, year model, etc. A *NEW* engine from the factory is another animal and level of cost.

I would just ask the dealer what they are replacing.

Last edited by jfmorris; August 15th, 2024 at 3:56 PM.
Old August 16th, 2024, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah I plan to and I'm not complaining as there's been almost 15k of work done on it from a new "remanufactured" transmission to this motor work.

My portion will probably be less than 500.00 so the warranty definitely helped out and I'm glad the dude i bought it from gives the warranty free with purchase on all the vehicles he sales.
jfmorris (August 16th, 2024)
Old Yesterday, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 2015 Silver Suburban
Yeah I plan to and I'm not complaining as there's been almost 15k of work done on it from a new "remanufactured" transmission to this motor work.

My portion will probably be less than 500.00 so the warranty definitely helped out and I'm glad the dude i bought it from gives the warranty free with purchase on all the vehicles he sales.

Well the total bill came to 9,620.76 cents if i rememeber right. My portion after was 201.01 that was for the 100.00 deductible and then 100.00 shipping on the newly remanufactured transmission that they installed and programmed to work.

The motor work invoived replacing all the lifters, the camshaft, various seals, and gaskets, they also determined that the reason the electric fan was still running after the vehichle was shut off was due to the thermostat being stuck open and causing low voltage issue. They replaced the thermostat and the fan does not run after shutting the vehichle off anymore.
Old Yesterday, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

It runs like a brand new vehicle now.
jfmorris (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 2:02 PM
CF Active Member

Glad to hear they got you fixed up, and that the vehicle is running like new!

I think I would consider getting one of those AFM disabler dongles that plugs into the ODB2 port to just keep AFM from ever causing an issue again. If I ever buy a newer GM truck with the AFM, that is one of the first things I'll be doing is disabling it.