Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2017 suburban tail light malfunction

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2020, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 suburban tail light malfunction

Hey guys, I feel like I have exhausted my knowledge and about to take the vehicle in to a shop.

2017 suburban LT, 96k miles, stock.

It has showed intermittently “right brake light malfunction” message with rapid clicker on dash for awhile. A few days ago lost all power to right brake light housing (no brake, blinker etc.). Changed bulbs-no fix, checked fuses- apparently there is no fuse dedicated to that light. Plugged the “defective” light housing into the other side- it worked fine. Switched the good one (left side) into the right side- nothing worked.

So I have deduced it must be the wiring somehow (bad ground, chewed line, etc) unless I am missing something obvious? Nothing seems loose/frayed on any of the wires/connections that are visible.

any feedback would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!
Old August 15th, 2020, 3:55 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by texasclay
Hey guys, I feel like I have exhausted my knowledge and about to take the vehicle in to a shop.

2017 suburban LT, 96k miles, stock.

It has showed intermittently “right brake light malfunction” message with rapid clicker on dash for awhile. A few days ago lost all power to right brake light housing (no brake, blinker etc.). Changed bulbs-no fix, checked fuses- apparently there is no fuse dedicated to that light. Plugged the “defective” light housing into the other side- it worked fine. Switched the good one (left side) into the right side- nothing worked.

So I have deduced it must be the wiring somehow (bad ground, chewed line, etc) unless I am missing something obvious? Nothing seems loose/frayed on any of the wires/connections that are visible.

any feedback would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!
Probably have a bad relay or a bad ground.

Old August 15th, 2020, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The brake light and turn signal power comes straight from the Body Control Module - that's how it knows there is a problem back there. If nothing works on that side, the only thing all bulbs have in common is the ground wire. Time to test for your powers and grounds at the tail lamp connector.