Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2019 Silverado 5.3 oil issue

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2020, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Silverado 5.3 oil issue

How's it going yall! I changed my own oil and oil filter 4 months and 4k miles ago on my 2019 Silverado LT Trail Boss. The other night, when driving on the highway, I got a message telling me to add oil, I checked the dipstick today and noticed the damn thing was drier than a witches tit! Prior to that, I had been checking my driveway for any oil spots, always check the filter and drain plug for leaks all the time as part of my own maintenance, nothing. Everything is dry, no leaks, nothing.... Anyone have this issue with your 5.3 somehow managing to guzzle 8q of synthetic in 4k miles on a brand new truck? Yeah, I went and got it changed again at Valvoline and kept the receipt earlier today. Am I missing something??? I even checked the radiator fluid tank to make sure I hadn't cracked a seal or gasket somewhere and was burning oil, checked the exhaust pipes too... Other than some soot that looked normal, everything checked out. Mind you this isn't my first rodeo, been working on cars doing work here and there since I was a kid.

TYIA
Old December 24th, 2020, 6:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty
How's it going yall! I changed my own oil and oil filter 4 months and 4k miles ago on my 2019 Silverado LT Trail Boss. The other night, when driving on the highway, I got a message telling me to add oil, I checked the dipstick today and noticed the damn thing was drier than a witches tit! Prior to that, I had been checking my driveway for any oil spots, always check the filter and drain plug for leaks all the time as part of my own maintenance, nothing. Everything is dry, no leaks, nothing.... Anyone have this issue with your 5.3 somehow managing to guzzle 8q of synthetic in 4k miles on a brand new truck? Yeah, I went and got it changed again at Valvoline and kept the receipt earlier today. Am I missing something??? I even checked the radiator fluid tank to make sure I hadn't cracked a seal or gasket somewhere and was burning oil, checked the exhaust pipes too... Other than some soot that looked normal, everything checked out. Mind you this isn't my first rodeo, been working on cars doing work here and there since I was a kid.

TYIA
Not my first rodeo either, but still a human. When yo pulled the filter did the seal come off with it?
Old December 25th, 2020, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if you still have powertrain warranty have the dealer start a oil consumption test. They need to do the next oil change, record the mileage and have you return to gauge the consumption rate. Once they confirm the condition; they need to find the cause and complete the repair.
be prepared to show all oil change records.
Old December 25th, 2020, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Not my first rodeo either, but still a human. When yo pulled the filter did the seal come off with it?
Hey Kevin, thanks for reaching out! I don’t remember there being a seal on the filter can other than what’s already on the circumference of the can. After removing the old filter, I oiled up the new one and twisted the new can right on up.
Old December 25th, 2020, 7:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
if you still have powertrain warranty have the dealer start a oil consumption test. They need to do the next oil change, record the mileage and have you return to gauge the consumption rate. Once they confirm the condition; they need to find the cause and complete the repair.
Sounds good, I’ll have to see if I can go to my local oreillys and pull the receipt for when I did the change back in 08/2020, thankfully I was smart enough to write down the date and mileage of when I did the change.

She’s been giving me a lot of issues, check engine light comes on and goes off at least once a week. Dealership said it’s “intermittent codes” and nothing to worry about. Bank 1/2 too lean, loss of communication to power train modules, break control modules, all kinds of codes. They always give me the run around, yes, I only use top tier gas and have all the receipts to prove it.
Old December 25th, 2020, 2:51 PM
Super Moderator

don' t let the dealer shrug it off warranty repairs. if you are paying; find another shop. if the cel problems keep returning be prepared to leave it with them...calling everyday until its fixed. if you are under base warranty have them pay for a rental while you car is with them. Warranty pays for the rental.
Old December 26th, 2020, 12:28 AM
CF Beginner

don' t let the dealer shrug it off warranty repairs. if you are paying; find another shop. if the cel problems keep returning be prepared to leave it with them...calling everyday until its fixed. if you are under base warranty have them pay for a rental while you car is with them. Warranty pays for the rental.
Sounds good, speaking of the check engine light... it came on later yesterday again lol... it just goes away on its own. I promised myself to never buy first production year models, then did just that cuz I got a spanking deal on her. Oh, did I forget... the trans slips harder than a witch on ice... even after the dealership did “work” on it.
Old August 31st, 2021, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2019 GMC Sierra 5.3l oil problems

Originally Posted by Arty

TYIA
I am also having a oil issue with my 2019 GMC SIERRA. I was drivi g my truck and the engine oil low light came on in my truck. I was due for a oil change and told them i was down 2 quarts of oil. The dealership changed my oil and then told me to keep an eye on it. So, after 2000 miles of druving and 70 percent of oil life left on the oil. My oil low display falshed again on my display. I then checked the oil and it was down 2 quarts again. I then called Quirk in Manchester and they just blew me off and never returned my calls and the service manager never returned any of my calls back either. So I now have it at another dealer and they put a die in my oil to see if there is any leaks. I have no oil spots in my driveway and when Quirk checked out after doing the oil change the first and said that there was no leaks. I am very disappointed in my over all experience with dealing with General Motors. I then called General Motors to speak with someone about this matter and after holding on for over a hour to speak to someone and then finally getting to talk with a rep. She didnt want anything to do about it nor did she want to hear about it and hung up on me after waiting all this time.
Old August 31st, 2021, 8:40 PM
Super Moderator

this!
Old August 31st, 2021, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2019 GMC Sierrs 5.3 l oil problems

Hi Guys. So I drive a 2019 GMC Sierra. I first noticed the problem around 36,000 miles on my truck. I had about 35 % oil life on my current oil when my low oil light came on.
I checked my oil stick and there was no oil on the dip stick. I went to the auto parts store and bought the dexos oil and filled it up. It took 2 qts. of oil to fill it. I then called the dealership about the issue and brought it in for a oil change and to check to see if there was any leaks. After the oil change was done. I was told to keep a eye on it and notify them of any changes. After 2000 miles with 70 % of oil life remaining on the current oil change. My light came back on and i was down 2 qts. again. I called the dealership and left a message at 1 pm in the afternoon. I didnt evan get a call back and I called them the next day to speak to a service manager to set up a appointment to check the problem out. Till this day I still havent received a call back fro Quirk in Manchester NH. So , I then take my truck to Commonwealth Motors i Lawrence, Ma. They told me that they were going to top off my oil and put the die in it. Then they wanted me to pay 60 dollars for the die in my oil. I refused and said this should be covered under the warranty. After we resolved that and my truck came out after 3 hours
(which is another story). They told me they did a complete oil change and i needed to pay for that. I said why didnt anyone come out and talk to me before they did anything.
So, Now I am waiting the rests of this test..

Quick Reply: 2019 Silverado 5.3 oil issue