Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4L60E Question - suddenly lost 3/4 Gears

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2013, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E Question - suddenly lost 3/4 Gears

Just did a rebuild on a 4L60E transmission. (my first)

It worked great for four days, had all gears, shifted at proper RPM/Speed, and all seemed great.

Then, suddenly, I lost third and fourth gear. There was no slipping or other indication of a problem, and it still doesn't feel like a slip, it feels like it shifts into neutral instead.

Manually shifting doesn't make any difference.

Since I reused the old solenoids, it it likely that the 3/4 solenoid has failed?

If it worked fine for four days does that make it unlikely that I got a check ball in the wrong place?

I did check the transmission fuse and it is fine and the fluid level is fine/no leaks.

I know I can change the solenoids with the Tranny in the truck, so I'm hoping not to have to drop the whole Tranny/Xfer case again. Are there any other likely suspects? Anything else I can check?

I also know how to Ohm out the solenoids and how to apply 12V to test them out of the tranny, but is there a way to test them without dropping the pan? I don't have a scanner, but maybe a way to feed 12V to the solenoid lead and listen for the click? I have to dump 6 quarts of new tranny fluid down the drain.

Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions.
Old June 25th, 2013, 7:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds like a good idea to test the shift solenoids. Worse case scenario is the 3-4 clutch packs are gone.

Stickied: Glovebox guide to 4L60E problems while on the road - Chevrolet Impala SS Forum : Chevy Impala SS Forums
Old August 21st, 2013, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to figure out the 3-4 gear issue before I replace transmission. I know that if one of the solenoids goes out its best to replace both as the other usually follows. I have replaced my solenoids , changed fluid/filter as recommended using the SeaFoam transmission additive, which worked great but would not recommend it when adding your new fluid as it does an excellent job of cleaning out gunk and within days I had to do it all again. Also did the Chevron w/ Techron fuel treatment, which seemed to have an immediate effect as far as getting a little more power and lowering my RPMS while driving. My 02 sensors were also an issue causing my PCM to code and they were then replaced. Previous to this I had new universal cats put on, make sure they fit correctly as this will throw codes, too. There were no metal shavings/ debris in either tranny fluid changes. After resetting the PCM several times I'm still throwing codes with the 02 sensors. My SUV was originally in limp mode, after replacing cats it seemed to go out of limp mode where I was able to do a hard shift making it shift into 3 rd by taking OD off sometimes going back and fourth. Torque converter checked out to be fine, checked throttle body, clutch cables, other solenoids, fuses, and still I have problems going into 3 rd or 4 th gears. With OD on I can get into 3 rd but I can't heavy accelerate into 3 rd, if I want 4 th I have to take OD off. I went thru the wiring harness(s) which seemed to be fine. Finally, I've been told by another mechanic, that common issues for the 4L60e are as follows :
TPS leak - check the servo assembly or the 1-2 accumulator
Also check the TPS for smooth linear response over entire range of motion
Shift A & B solenoids and wiring issues ,as I stated above
Wiring from PCM to Trans and Trans back to PCM
Make sure 02 sensors wiring is NOT touching exhaust
Clogged valves
TCC Solenoid also check wiring
Do this with the VSS also
WORST CASE PUMP FAILURE TRANSMISSION OR THE DREADED 3-4 IS OUT AND REBUILD IS NEEDED....
If I confused you or was not clear , I'm a new not by choice up and coming home mechanic. This was 2 solid months of research, trial and error, mechanics advise, and determination . Hope any if at all helped to at least find out a simple non expensive solution can be made before worst case senario.
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Tech from Northeastern Transparts's Avatar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably needs overhaul. In 3rd and 4th gear the 3/4 frictions are applied. They are the same part. They are applied for 3rd and 4th gears. It won't be a shift solenoid. If you pull the fuse for the transmission you should have third gear only. ( in 3rd gear both solenoids are off). So, pull the fuse, if no move, 3rd gear frictions internally are smoked.
Old January 13th, 2014, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default @@@ help please @@@

I am having almost the same issues on my 2007 Chevy Avalanche. It has 158,000 miles on it. Was driving perfectly fine. I stopped, got out. Got back in, started and nothing. I have reverse but would not engage D or 3. Had to drive it back home in 2. Now if I go anywhere, I have to manual shift it starting in 1 and working my way back to D. Once in 3 or D, it drives fine. If I come to a stop. I have to start all over again from 1. Also, if I try and give it too much gas in 1 or 2, it make a horrible ( almost rubbing ) sound from the tranny or rear end. Also, I have NO check engine light on. Do you think its the A and B solenoids, whole valve body, speed sensor, or something else?
Old December 5th, 2015, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Fireax1

My 2006 GMC Sierra is having the exact same issue. Did you ever find out what was wrong?
Old December 6th, 2015, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Tranny

Hey Jeff,

I think my first problem was my valve body. If I would have fixed that off the bat, I would have been fine. I waited and I think that's what killed the tranny. Sounds more likely yours is the A & B solenoids. I believe you should be able to check them with out pulling the whole tranny. Plus you'll get a good look at the valve body at the same time. I know if you don't put those little ***** back in the exact location. You could start having issues also.
Originally Posted by H_T_D
Just did a rebuild on a 4L60E transmission. (my first)

It worked great for four days, had all gears, shifted at proper RPM/Speed, and all seemed great.

Then, suddenly, I lost third and fourth gear. There was no slipping or other indication of a problem, and it still doesn't feel like a slip, it feels like it shifts into neutral instead.

Manually shifting doesn't make any difference.

Since I reused the old solenoids, it it likely that the 3/4 solenoid has failed?

If it worked fine for four days does that make it unlikely that I got a check ball in the wrong place?

I did check the transmission fuse and it is fine and the fluid level is fine/no leaks.

I know I can change the solenoids with the Tranny in the truck, so I'm hoping not to have to drop the whole Tranny/Xfer case again. Are there any other likely suspects? Anything else I can check?

I also know how to Ohm out the solenoids and how to apply 12V to test them out of the tranny, but is there a way to test them without dropping the pan? I don't have a scanner, but maybe a way to feed 12V to the solenoid lead and listen for the click? I have to dump 6 quarts of new tranny fluid down the drain.

Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions.
Old December 8th, 2015, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by fireax1
Hey Jeff,

I think my first problem was my valve body. If I would have fixed that off the bat, I would have been fine. I waited and I think that's what killed the tranny. Sounds more likely yours is the A & B solenoids. I believe you should be able to check them with out pulling the whole tranny. Plus you'll get a good look at the valve body at the same time. I know if you don't put those little ***** back in the exact location. You could start having issues also.
I changed the A and B solenoids and still having the same problem. So I guess it to the input sprag and check the sunshell
Old December 9th, 2015, 7:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
If the problem is the sun shell, you would have no 2nd,4th or reverse. If the problem is the input sprag the trans would lock up in 4th, because in 4th the sprag freewheels. The problem is with the 3-4 clutch, if you cant find the reason why they are burning out, the big input drum likes to crack internally(this happens with 2004 and up). You also may want to do a pressure check. The 3-4 clutch is the weak point on this unit. Gary(i have a trans shop in new york)
Old December 10th, 2015, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

I have reverse and nothing in D in auto. But manually i have 1st and 2nd. When I get up to speed I can then shift manually into 3rd and D.

Quick Reply: 4L60E Question - suddenly lost 3/4 Gears