Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4L60E Question - suddenly lost 3/4 Gears

Old March 6th, 2018, 1:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Terry Snyder View Post
. So my 3rd and 4th stopped as well...i pulled the transmission. Fuse and it goes..so what exactly does that mean my problem is?
Bump this one up. I am in the same boat. Pulled what I think is the fuse and it still moves forward.

No 3rd or 4th gear though. Any ideas?

No CEL either.
Old March 15th, 2018, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Hey I am having the same thing , I think. my 2006 gmc seirra will drive in reverse, 1 and 2. 3rd and drive it just revs up , fluid looks good. It will fall out of gear shifting into 3rd. no check engine light on. it is droping hard when I put it in reverse though. and I did not have any issues before . it sliped out once when I punched it and the next day did the same thing and then went to doing this.What do you think
Old July 2nd, 2018, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tech from Northeastern Transparts View Post
Probably needs overhaul. In 3rd and 4th gear the 3/4 frictions are applied. They are the same part. They are applied for 3rd and 4th gears. It won't be a shift solenoid. If you pull the fuse for the transmission you should have third gear only. ( in 3rd gear both solenoids are off). So, pull the fuse, if no move, 3rd gear frictions internally are smoked.
Originally Posted by fireax1 View Post
I am having almost the same issues on my 2007 Chevy Avalanche. It has 158,000 miles on it. Was driving perfectly fine. I stopped, got out. Got back in, started and nothing. I have reverse but would not engage D or 3. Had to drive it back home in 2. Now if I go anywhere, I have to manual shift it starting in 1 and working my way back to D. Once in 3 or D, it drives fine. If I come to a stop. I have to start all over again from 1. Also, if I try and give it too much gas in 1 or 2, it make a horrible ( almost rubbing ) sound from the tranny or rear end. Also, I have NO check engine light on. Do you think its the A and B solenoids, whole valve body, speed sensor, or something else?
Originally Posted by H_T_D View Post
Just did a rebuild on a 4L60E transmission. (my first)

It worked great for four days, had all gears, shifted at proper RPM/Speed, and all seemed great.

Then, suddenly, I lost third and fourth gear. There was no slipping or other indication of a problem, and it still doesn't feel like a slip, it feels like it shifts into neutral instead.

Manually shifting doesn't make any difference.

Since I reused the old solenoids, it it likely that the 3/4 solenoid has failed?

If it worked fine for four days does that make it unlikely that I got a check ball in the wrong place?

I did check the transmission fuse and it is fine and the fluid level is fine/no leaks.

I know I can change the solenoids with the Tranny in the truck, so I'm hoping not to have to drop the whole Tranny/Xfer case again. Are there any other likely suspects? Anything else I can check?

I also know how to Ohm out the solenoids and how to apply 12V to test them out of the tranny, but is there a way to test them without dropping the pan? I don't have a scanner, but maybe a way to feed 12V to the solenoid lead and listen for the click? I have to dump 6 quarts of new tranny fluid down the drain.

Thanks very much for any advice or suggestions.
Solenoids either work or don't. I have the same problem and I definitely am suspecting wiring harness or loose wiring connections....