Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

5.7 Vortec Lifter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2018, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.7 Vortec Lifter Replacement

My 2002 5.7 Vortec V* has a bad intake gasket that is leaking oil badly so I am looking at some time to replace it.

While I have the intake manifold out, I think I have pretty good access to the lifters which have developed a tick that I can't get rid of.

If I do replace the lifters while I am in there, should I replace with the Delco HL123 lifters or go with something aftermarket? Should I replace the push rods at the same time or just clean them out?

I have heard that small passage in the push rods can sometimes get plugged and that slows the flow of oil into the lifter which may lead to the ticking noise I am hearing. Is there a better way to clean these passage ways other than soaking the push rods in cleaner?

If I am going to go through the added trouble, I really want to eliminate the ticking noise!

Anything else I should clean, replace or adjust while the intake is off?
Old July 28th, 2018, 5:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by e21pilot
My 2002 5.7 Vortec V* has a bad intake gasket that is leaking oil badly so I am looking at some time to replace it.

While I have the intake manifold out, I think I have pretty good access to the lifters which have developed a tick that I can't get rid of.

If I do replace the lifters while I am in there, should I replace with the Delco HL123 lifters or go with something aftermarket? Should I replace the push rods at the same time or just clean them out?

I have heard that small passage in the push rods can sometimes get plugged and that slows the flow of oil into the lifter which may lead to the ticking noise I am hearing. Is there a better way to clean these passage ways other than soaking the push rods in cleaner?

If I am going to go through the added trouble, I really want to eliminate the ticking noise!

Anything else I should clean, replace or adjust while the intake is off?
Push rods for a GM 5.7 Vortec V8 are around $50 dollars for a full set. You could drill the carbon out with a very small drill bit, but it would be time consuming. I once did that for a fellow HS student on a "Found On Road Dead" 289 C-I V8, back in the day, as none of us had much money to spend.

Soaking the push-rods in solvent or a "cleaner" like "Gunk" will not clean out the push-rod interior oil passages of excessive carbon build-up.

As far as new valve lifters go, you can spend as little as $120 dollars for a set to over $400 dollars, depending on which brand that you choose to go with.

If I were you, I'd yank the valve stem seals off and install new ones, considering the age and mileage of your vehicle. Might as well put a set of Iridium spark plugs in,
if you choose to change the valve stem seals.