Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

'79 van, can I check/adjust float level with carb installed?

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '79 van, can I check/adjust float level with carb installed?

It looks like the previous owner rebuilt the carb in this van but I'm still getting some issues. If you brake to a stop the engine stalls sometimes, but I noticed that if you slowly roll to a stop it wont stall. And when accelerating sometimes, it feels like it's starving for fuel. I think the float isn't set right. Do I have to take the carb out to adjust it? Can I just take the top off and inspect the level?
Old July 9th, 2011, 3:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by atikovi
It looks like the previous owner rebuilt the carb in this van but I'm still getting some issues. If you brake to a stop the engine stalls sometimes, but I noticed that if you slowly roll to a stop it wont stall. And when accelerating sometimes, it feels like it's starving for fuel. I think the float isn't set right. Do I have to take the carb out to adjust it? Can I just take the top off and inspect the level?
You need to check for float drop which requires it to be removed. You CAN in this problem, sounds like it is too low, "adjust" it to open more by bending the arms up. Be careful too NOT open it too far as you will have a flooding problem.