General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

86 K5 hard top..

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2006 | 6:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default 86 K5 hard top..

hey folks, whats going on? i have to confess before i go further... I own a ford.. i know, i know, thats awful, but when you cant afford to be picky about what you drive, its better to go american, than from overseas.. anyhow, my buddy does in fact have a 86 K5, and we have been working on it, and was wondering if you'll could help with something? we are having one heck of a time taking the hard top off of it, we have all the bolt off and thats about as far has we have got... does anyone know of an easy way to get them things off of there? how heavy are they? cause someone mentioned using some pully system for it, but we live in the dorms on an AFB and dont ahve anywhere to install something like that.... thank you all in advance for any help that you can provide...

Ed
Old August 14th, 2006 | 10:45 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 86 K5 hard top..

the best way to get the hardtop off of one of those trucks would be to get someone with a strong back to bend over , under the cap push up on it and walk it to the back of the truck till its half way off once you get it to where its almost ready to fall off get a few guys to hold it at the back and set the back corners on the ground or chirs or somthing to rest it on. then hold the front and get someone to drive the truck out from under it and there you go. and its as much fun putting it back on!
Old August 14th, 2006 | 8:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 86 K5 hard top..

I have not taken one of these off yet, but have a topper and that sounds about right. If you aren't very big or have a friend that is it may be better if you can have two do the initial lift from the inside.
As far as having a Ford, that's okay. Any thing has potential if taken care of and maintained properly.
I also say this because at the moment I own a
1949 Ford F-1
1968 Dodge D-100
1984 Dodge Ram 150
1991 GMC Sanoma
1996 Chevy Silverado

Point being if it gets you to where you need to go that is all that matters!