Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

88' Chevy Celebrity cant get up to speed

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2015, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 88' Chevy Celebrity cant get up to speed

Hey all!

So I bought this car from a friend (because i needed some sort of transportation and funds are tight). Its a 1988 Chevy Celebrity Eurosport, I drove it for a little while and it was going just fine (save for a little hiccup here and there), but lately, out of nowhere its been having a heck of a time getting up to speed.

From idle, when i step on the gas, it seems alot weaker than it used to be, you can hear the engine working hard, but theres no power behind it.

Can anyone give me some advice? maybe some self repair tips? as I said, funds are kind of tight, so I dont want to be spending an arm and a leg making this thing run. I only bought it for 500.

Thanks in advance!
Old August 18th, 2015, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default additional info

additionally, the car seems to drive fine after being off for some time, but that only lasts for maybe a mile, after that you feel the power fade from the gas pedal.

the car has been idling really hard lately as well, like it rumbles and jerks when in idle at a stop sign.