Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

92 lumina idle problems

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2011, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 lumina idle problems

hi i have a problem.... the car will not start unless im pushing down on the throttle. so i adjusted the set screw to keep it idle... now the car idles up and down eventually dies in drive but in park it just idles real low. i have replaced the iac and the tps did nothing. checked for vacuum leaks could not find any had it taken to machanic and they told me the fuel pump was weak but would not cause it to idle low he did a fuel pressure check and it was 30 something should be 40s also said when he turned off car the pressure dropped imediatly ? other then that the car would run fine without surging or anything. it smells like gas coming from exaust also ? any help please......

Last edited by chevguy86; July 2nd, 2011 at 3:48 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

the mechanic also told me to clean the tb to make the idle higher i cleaned twice and still made no difference. i tryed checking the fpr there didn't seem to be fuel in the vacuum line although it did smell alittle like gas ? also wondering if its an egr issue not sure, can i check it... if so how ?
Old July 5th, 2011, 1:28 PM
CF Active Member

Pull the EGR valve and check it. It may have a carbon build up around the pintel that is not allowing it to fully seat. You may also want to check your charcoal canister and make sure it's not saturated with gasoline.
Old July 6th, 2011, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

ok i had the egr valve off already all i seen was a hole in the center not sure how to check it.
Old July 6th, 2011, 5:38 PM
CF Active Member

Most EGR valves are vacuum operated. Attach a short piece of vacuum hose to the port where the diaphragm is and either suck on it or blow on it to see if it moves. Most of them are operated by a vacuum being pulled on them, so suck on it. Put the tip of your tongue over the hose and see if it holds in place. If not, then you probably need to replace it as it has a hole in it.