Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

'93 K1500 Transmission Check

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2014, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 K1500 Transmission Check

Hello all, I just bought a 1993 GMC Sierra extended cab k1500 for my son. he just turned 16. I have been driving it for 3 weeks to check everything out. All seems fine except for the transmission fluid. I thought I knew how to check but evidently I don't. On the dip stick, (just for a visual) two inches from the bottom it has a mark labeled cold. Another inch above that is the grid marked hot. When I drive home, 30 minutes, and check it is safe in the hot grid. If I check it the next morning before it is ever started it is two or three inches above the hot grid. No where near the cold area at the bottom. I don't want to drain anything if I don't have to. It shifts fine there are no problems with it. The transmission was rebuilt by a reputable shop in 2013, I have the paper work. Am I missing something.
Thanks to all for what you do here.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 4:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the vehicle is on a level surface and with the engine on and at normal operating temperature set the parking brake and with your foot on the brake take the gear selector and slowly go through all the selections available and back into park. I place the selector in the lowest gear wait until you feel the transmission engage count to 3 then move the selector up to the next gear. Repeat process until you have the selector back into park.

With the selector in park leave the engine running and remove the dipstick, clean the dipstick, insert it all the way back into the dipstick tube and then remove it and observe the level. The fluid should be near the warm/hot level. Replace dipstick into the tube and your done.

Also look at the fluid to see what color it is. The fluid should not be dark brown/black, or have a burnt smell.
Old March 24th, 2014, 4:54 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks Richardx2, I already do that, and every thing checks fine. The gist of my question is coming out the next morning and checking cold, why is the fluid level half way up the stick with nothing changing overnight other that cooling down.
Old March 24th, 2014, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default 95 K1500 Chevy 5.7 new motor and transmission but what is it?

Ok so i have a new 350 im putting into my truck but i was wondering if it came out of a 91 GMC would the computer hook ups be right for my 95 Chevy.
I was also wondering if the transmissions in the 95s are the 700..Because that is what i have anyone think it would work?
Old March 24th, 2014, 8:21 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by towerman
Thanks Richardx2, I already do that, and every thing checks fine. The gist of my question is coming out the next morning and checking cold, why is the fluid level half way up the stick with nothing changing overnight other that cooling down.
Are you checking the coolant with the engine running or shut off?
Old March 26th, 2014, 5:24 AM
CF Beginner

Engine off, twice a week before the truck is started i check all fluids. The transmission fluid shows way over the marks for good.
Old March 26th, 2014, 9:15 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by towerman
Engine off, twice a week before the truck is started i check all fluids. The transmission fluid shows way over the marks for good.
The transmission fluid level is good. If you check the fluid with the engine off you get a false reading don't worry about the fluid being way up on the stick.