Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

94 Z71 idle/run propblem

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2013, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Z71 idle/run propblem

Hey yawl thanks for having me. Just a 20 year plus do it yourself here. I'm stumped on this one. I own a 94 z71 5.7 t/b with 297,000 plus on it daily driver runs like a top most of the time but now acting bad. First this is what it does. every morning when I go to work I starts perfectly but within a few min. it starts to surge up and down from 800 rpm to almost zero then it just dies so I start I right back up. Half of the time when going down the road it chugs down like it wants to die and will pop thru t/b when I give it gas so I have to butterfly it to make it pick up speed and when up to speed it runs like a top, at 70 plus, all day. But when I slow down to a light or try to park the rpm dial goes up and down between 800 and zero and will die out if I don't pop the gas peddle. But then again there are times when all of a sudden it will run perfectly . This is what I have done replaced alternator from junk yard but I've noticed when I turn lights on or run ac or turn blinker on it drops to the left or will bounce. I totally cleaned the t/b put in new plugs wires rotor and cap the egr works and I've replaced the TPS and the temp gauge on manifold and replaced the idle air control valve. It just seems it wants to die on me at idle all the time and chugs down to almost nothing when trying to accelerate. Oh also replace fuel filter. Should I replace my MAP sensor and the tranny was rebuilt less then 4 months ago. I can go over 100 miles at 70 with not one prob but when I slow to stop or traffic it idles up and down and try's to die on me and I have to feather it to accelerate . Thanks for your help
Old January 10th, 2013, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 z71

Ok this is what I just did took air cleaner off. Started up perfectly like always rpms are at 800 when in drive or reverse they go to 400 rpm. So one of my probs I feel will be new alternator cause when I trnd on heat on high and my lights it just flat out dies. But I also turned them off and in idle started to surge a bit and my injectors are working fine but when I grab the throttle to give gas under hood off of the T/B I can see the butterflies open up and if I do it fast it just bogs on down but if slow its fine hmmm Cause when I first started it it ran like a new ruck but now it wants to stall out when I give the throttle linkage off of T/B gas cant reeve it like it should