Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

used hypertech programmer now my Z71 wont run!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2010, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used hypertech programmer now my Z71 wont run!!!

I used a HPP III on my 2000 Z71 5.3L the other day and the truck drove great for about 10 miles then when I stopped at a stoplight the truck just died. I got truck off the road and got a ride home to get the HPP and planned on setting everything back to stock hoping it would fix whatever problem it had created. I was wrong, the truck will start if I floor the gas pedal but it has a very loud pinging sound and I have to keep the RPMs way up or it will die. I thought that maybe I had messed up the computer and I had access to one exactly the same I thought, I put it on tried starting it but it wouldnt start, although you couldnt hear the pinging sound anymore but still it would not start. I pulled all the plugs and they were all fouled so I replaced them. Now when I start it i still have to keep RPMs up and still has loud pinging. I dont know what else to do. Please help!
Old April 7th, 2010, 3:38 PM
CF Junior Member

beau, you will need to call our tech department so we can find out exactly what happened during the programming process. We have a lot of questions to ask and figure out. I will pm the phone number
Old April 7th, 2010, 6:10 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be a fluke sounds to me like your fuel pump may have failed (very common, would do what you are explaining).
Old April 11th, 2010, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Still unable to diagnose problem...

Well I called hypertech and they seem to blame everything but the programmer. The man I spoke with said it could have been bad gas although I explained to him that I was almost on empty from the gas that had been running fine for the last 100 miles or so. I have tried putting a new computer in but apparently it wont work cause it wont communicate with the other PCM, ECM or whatever the thing is called. I also tried putting the computer located behind dash that came out of same truck as the PCM I was trying but still would not even start. But when I put my original PCM back in it starts up but wont stay running and still pings really bad. If anyone has had this problem or has any ideas how to fix it please help.

Also, MDTAHOE. I agree that those fuel pumps go out frequently but the fact that it works with my PCM everytime and I can hear it kick on everytime tells me that its fine for now. I just had it replaced a few months ago as well. thanks though.

Last edited by beau; April 11th, 2010 at 9:00 AM.
Old April 11th, 2010, 3:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this will help but it's worth a try and time consuming. When you replace teh computer in your truck, sometimes you have to do a security relearn. I don't know if the relearn process is the same for both our trucks, but I'll explain to you what I had to do.

After the new computer is installed. turn the key on for 10 minutes, do not attempt to crank, turn it off for 5 minutes, repeat 4 or 5 times, then it should crank. It may crank and die, but it should work after that.

Also, if your check engine light is on, scan teh codes.
Old April 11th, 2010, 6:14 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beau

Also, MDTAHOE. I agree that those fuel pumps go out frequently but the fact that it works with my PCM everytime and I can hear it kick on everytime tells me that its fine for now. I just had it replaced a few months ago as well. thanks though.
New does not mean good. Also just because you here it running it does not mean it is pumping.

You can not just put any computer in It Must Be Programmed by the dealer.
Old April 13th, 2010, 1:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi beau,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Is the sum total of Hypertech's involvement, up to now, to point the blame-finger elsewhere?

This just doesn't seem right...
Old April 15th, 2010, 3:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Beau, you can call our tech dept and ask for extension 1405 and we will get you to send in the unit so we can find out what exactly happened. There are alot of questions beginning with did you purchase this new, but we have to have alot more detailed info to figure it out. Call this extension and ask for Kenny, he will help