Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

95 silverado carb swap

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2011, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 silverado carb swap

So i just dropped a different 350 into my truck and went with a rochester carb. The truck runs fine. But the tranny doesnt shift properly nor does the overdrive work... Is there a way to make this 4l60e shift right or am i just screwd... And is it bad to drive the truck with the trannynot shifting right? A guy told me it is and will burn the clutch out because the proper tension isnt applied? Thanks!
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Exclamation

That is the VSS on the tranny that is no longer connected to a TPI or TBI that controls that.

Maybe you want to call TCI and talk to their tech line telling them what you have and ask them for a solution.

Powerhouse Products Home Page

You have a electronic tranny.I would drive it until you get this resolved.

The other thing you need to change is with a carb you have to run a HEI distributor.It won't run right with your electronic distributor.

Last edited by T.Neff; July 31st, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old August 1st, 2011, 7:11 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah i have an HEI in it.

Ive read on the net that the tranny only need
TPS
VSS
CTS
And a rpm signal
To shift like it used to with the tbi setup, for the rpm signal u have to find a purple and white wire that used to connect to the old distributor and tap that into the tach spot on the hei... Sounds like a little cheeper route that buying a standalone comp and less work than going to a 700r4...
But if it isnt hurting my tranny driving it the way it is i probly wont worry about this till i get tired of buring alot of gas due to no overdrive and turning 2000 rpms going 45 ...
Old August 1st, 2011, 7:47 AM
Banned

It will burn out your tranny.It is like the TV cable on earlier models.Do what you will,but you will regret it.BTW-you assumed TCI would sell you a expensive fix without even trying to find out.Surely they are not going to suggest a fix the would result in damage to your tranny.If you want motivation,"E" tranny rebuilds are ranging from $1,200 to $2,300 depending on what needs to be done.
Old August 1st, 2011, 9:26 AM
CF Beginner

So just leave the tranny not shifting and figure out a stand alone controller?
Old August 1st, 2011, 9:28 AM
CF Beginner

Kinda confused on what will burn up my tranny trying to wire a tps up to my carb or leaving it not shifting
Old August 1st, 2011, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

And tci suggesed their ez-tcu for $615
Old August 1st, 2011, 6:25 PM
Banned

Most guys who answer a O/P's question and are then told what the answer is would just not reply or just ignore.I respect everyone too much to do that to you.So I am backing out of this thread in respect to you.I will not debate the merits of driving your vehicle as is.I will say bluntly that you didn't think threw a conversion to a carb that included the tranny controls.I do know the TCI company very well and to jury rig something isn't even close to the same thing and TCI sells that for a very good reason.

Good luck on the swap,

Terry