Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

AC fitting thread repair?

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2015, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC fitting thread repair?

The male threads on my AC cooler (99 Express 3500) are bunged up and I need to find a die that I can use to repair these threads. I've already tried O'Reilly and Car Quest and they only have a 5/8" size.

Anyone know where I can buy or rent a die that will repair these threads or even what size/pitch these are?

Old August 15th, 2015, 1:52 AM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

If the threads are really messed up bad, rethreading them won't work well. It will probably leak. The best option is to replace the fittings.
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

It looks as though just the first half of the threads are banged up.
I would have to replace the ENTIRE cooler as the fitting is brazed onto the cooler itself. I'm trying to avoid doing that because it entails removing the radiator, fan...etc.
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Bone yard time? Cut the old fitting off flush at the back @ the pipe. Bone yard, get one the same with extra pipe. Use a flare or compression to join it up?
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:56 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I can see there is not much to work with there. Do you have the female end or another fitting that still and is it in good shape?

If you do have the female end and it is in good shape and you want to try and repair the messed up fitting then you could take a dremel with a small thickness cutting wheel and cut grooves across the threads about 1/2 way up along the flats all the way through the fitting. That is like making the die you are looking for, the grooves will allow the fitting to cut the threads and maybe you will be able to make enough threads to make the male end work.

Otherwise you will have to get the new condenser and install it.
Old August 17th, 2015, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

If I can just get a few of the threads half decent I think I will be ok. I have 1/2 of the threads towards the rear of the fitting that are already in excellent shape.

I will then use some
Amazon.com: Permatex 54540 Pneumatic and Hydraulic Sealant - 1.22 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 54540 Pneumatic and Hydraulic Sealant - 1.22 oz.: Automotive
to make sure it won't leak. I've had great luck using this stuff to seal a leak on a master cylinder brake fitting that I coudln't get to seal with teflon tape and other "sealants" for fittings. This bottle was expensive but man it's good stuff!