Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Aftermarket Electrical installation question

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2017, 11:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Electrical installation question

Hello , I have a 1997 Chevy Silverado standard cab with 5.7 liter vortec (2WD)
i am wanting to install some aftermarket led light strips underneath my dash....
my primary goal: to have the lights work in tandom with the doors and gauges, and dimmer switch...
the simplest way I could think to achieve this was to cut the wires going to the under-dash factory lighting and to connect those wires to the LED strips ...
however the circuit that these factory bulbs are on is the same circuit that holds all of the cabin lighting and is on a 10 amp fuse
the factory bulbs I would be removing are 4 amps each (there are 2) and the led strips I am installing are all inter-connected into one + & - wire and require 10 amps.

Not it is this as simple as cutting the factory bulb wires and changing them to LED ...or will the circuit not be able to handle the amp draw? And if the circuit can’t handle the draw , is it safe to (and as simple as) “beef up” the circuit to a 15 amp fuse?

If wiring the LED strips in this manner proves to be not a good idea then what would be a good alternative? And if I can’t hook them up to this circuit, then would it be safe to hook up to the headlights circuit instead?