Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Beware of some wix oil filters !!

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2024, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockrz
Running 2 gaskets like this will make it leak.

You should always remove the old gasket and use just the gasket on the new filter.
I ALWAYS use the new gasket that came with the new filter. I also replace the metal/rubber drain bolt gasket with a new one.

I have a vehicle that has a horizontal oil filter and I'm able top fill it half way full of oil and very little if any comes out when I screw the filter on... so I get oil pressure much faster than if the filter were totally empty
I've never tried that method for fear of spilling oil as I try to screw on the filter. Good to know, thanks !!

Last edited by Peacekeeper6; March 7th, 2024 at 12:56 PM. Reason: edit
Old March 7th, 2024, 8:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Running 2 gaskets like this will make it leak.

You should always remove the old gasket and use just the gasket on the new filter.
He said he makes sure the old gasket is on the old filter... which means it gets thrown away with the old filter. I think you need to read carefully.

I have a vehicle that has a horizontal oil filter and I'm able top fill it half way full of oil and very little if any comes out when I screw the filter on... so I get oil pressure much faster than if the filter were totally empty
I'm pretty sure the engine has an oil check-valve. It won't run dry.