Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

oil filter coming loose

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2010, 9:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil filter coming loose

Today I saw oil on the driveway and checked my oil and it was low. I looked under the van and oil was all down the frame, I started it and oil started to leak from around the filter. When I checked the filter it was dripping oil and it was loose. The oil was changed 3 weeks ago and I am travelling and 1500 km from home. There was no oil on the driveway yesterday and it seems over the last 400 km the filter has come loose. I know the filter was tight when I put it on (been doing this for 50 years so I know how the change the oil and filter)
Has anyone ever had this happen to them, I know I've never heard of this happening after weeks and hundreds of km?
I removed the filter and went out and bought a Purolator filter, the one that came loose was a Motomaster. This was the first time I hadn 't used a Purolator.
Old August 1st, 2010, 4:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been changing oil for 50 yrs too, I know what you mean.
The new Motomaster filters are made in China and I'm not sure about their quality and construction, also different manufacturers have different gaskets to seal the filters. Some are square cross-section and others are an O-ring sort of gaskets.
You probably fixed the problem with the new Purolator. I always screw them up by hand and give them an extra 1/4 turn with my pump pliers (Channel-Locks), never had one come loose.
Keep an eye on it and keep on travelling.
Old August 1st, 2010, 4:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Good job

Wow.... good thing you were alert enough to notice the oil on the ground and to investigate the problem sufficiently to avoid failure of your engine.
I have never heard of an engine oil filter leaking 3 weeks after being installed.
Personally, I have had problems with improperly installed drain plugs by in experienced and inattentive service personnel. I was always fortunate enough to catch the problem before major engine failure.

I will monitor this thread to see if anyone has some ideas as to what happened.
Old August 1st, 2010, 8:55 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Just curious why you wouldn't use the OEM AC Delco filter...the cost is comparable or with in a $1 or 2 at most.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 4:35 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe all they had, canadian tire (or cambodian tire as most canadians know it as) is notorious for not having what you want. i use fram myself on all my cars, i like the grips on them, i heard royal purple is the best though us made
Old August 2nd, 2010, 5:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can find out everything you ever wanted to know about oil and filters at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Fram is not too popular there ....
Old August 2nd, 2010, 5:47 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow crazy info, i wont be using fram anymore, i will now swap, to which one i havent decided but i dont need a restrictive filter in my high performance 350, and i also dont need "goo" holding it together thanks for the info papa bear here is the link i found in the website you gave us: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html
and this one: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil.../opinions.html

Last edited by 2wd-K5; August 2nd, 2010 at 6:04 PM.