Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

blown head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default blown head gasket?

can a head gasket be blown without actually looking like it's blown? no breaks, burning, chunks missing, but exhaust valves on #3 and #5 are grayish/whitish, indicating a blown head gasket. what are your thoughts?
Old February 28th, 2010, 5:15 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get that valve spring compressor yet and pull those valves?
I still think maybe you have broken or weak valve springs.
Old February 28th, 2010, 6:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have any other signs of a blown head gasket? Are the #3 and #5 pistons and combustion chambers cleaner than the others?
Old February 28th, 2010, 8:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mudmaniac
Did you get that valve spring compressor yet and pull those valves?
I still think maybe you have broken or weak valve springs.
got compressor. pulled valves. other than faces of #3 and #5 exh being whitish color, valves look great. minor carbon, cleaned them all off. as far as #3 and #5 being cleaner? nope. they have quite a bit more carbon build up then other two. put everything back together after having head checked. now dead battery, so i'll wait till morning when i can see to charge battery, run compression test.
Old February 28th, 2010, 10:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have more patience than me i would have already ran that thing off a bridge lol....If mud maniacs not right then i dont know anything else that could be wrong...Unless those were the 2 cylinders that the injector/poppet were messing up on causing the valves to discolor...idk
Old March 1st, 2010, 9:17 AM
CF Veteran

the injection unit has been replace with the new mpfi style. i did notice on the head tho that between number 3 and 5 it seemed like it was darker, burnt color, but did not see this on the gasket. oh well, we'll find out in awhile, after i get battery charged,
Old March 1st, 2010, 9:20 AM
CF Veteran

oh, and springs did check out ok. none broken or weak. i think it was just a head gasket. needed to be replaced anyway. that, and the intake had been off before. the jacknut who put new lower gaskets in forgot to make sure gasket was lined up correctly. pretty good vacuum leak on guess where? 3 and 5. so there's part of the problem, still doesn't account for lower compression in 3 tho.
Old March 1st, 2010, 1:10 PM
CF Veteran

just did compression test with new head gasket, tho motor was cold. couple questions:
1) new readings are 150 consistent on drivers bank (new gasket), other side is still 160-170. am i ok to run like this, or do i need to change passenger side as well?
2) #3 cylinder still low, 120, same as it was so it wasn't head gasket. shop told me springs and valves were good. valve seals then? not sure how that would affect compression.
3) anything else i should check or look for?
Old March 1st, 2010, 1:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

al i can say is watch this..skip forward til about 2:15 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1XKmaRbeHM
Old March 1st, 2010, 1:28 PM
CF Veteran

that was def good for a laugh. doesn't help the 'hoe, but made me smile. thanks hoss, needed that.

Quick Reply: blown head gasket?