Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

A/C Not Working, Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Not Working, Suggestions

Year: 2001
Vehicle: 2500 Suburban LT Autoride 4WD
Engine: 6.w0L
Mileage: 127K

My AC compressor went out so I bought a used one from a place that specializes in truck parts. It came with a 6 month warranty so I trust that they have good parts.

After installing the used compressor, replacing the orifice tube and recharging the system(emptied one whole can, this can didnt come with a gauge) it is not blowing cold. In fact it's 15 degrees warmer than the outside air.
I have felt the lines according to my Haynes manual and they are feeling exactly how the manual describes they should.

I put a pressure gauge that I had from a previous can of refrigerant on and it was reading 70psi which is in the red danger area of the gauge. When the compressor would cycle on the pressure would drop down to 30psi and then slowly climb back up to 70 until it cycled back on.

I decided that maybe the pressure was too high and lowered it down to 40psi which according to my gauge is within the full and ideal range.

However upon turning the AC back on the compressor now wont even cycle on. I think I lowered it too much.

Besides needed to recharge the refrigerant back up to a level to get the compressor to come on, what besides the compressor itself would cause it to not be blowing cold?

Maybe I need to take the compressor back and exchange it for a different one?

Thanks
Old July 17th, 2011, 6:32 PM
CF Beginner

First thing is its going to take more than just one can. And if you havent evacuatted the system first to make room for the can you are putting in there, it wont work. You could overcharge your system and fry lots of expensive parts.

The compressor is prolly fine. You just need to get it evacuated.
Old July 19th, 2011, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

When the system gets evacuted that will remove everything, including the oil? When I charged it I bought one of those cans of freon that had the oil in it already.

Just want to know if I have to buy another one of the cans with oil to recharge the system after it's been evacuated.

Thanks!
Old August 7th, 2011, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 suburban.Tha a/c will blow cold, but many times after sit at idle speed for a couple of minutes it will stop working. Some times it will start working again some times not. Was told it might be a sensor. Any ideas?
Old August 8th, 2011, 9:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01burban
Year: 2001
Vehicle: 2500 Suburban LT Autoride 4WD
Engine: 6.w0L
Mileage: 127K

My AC compressor went out so I bought a used one from a place that specializes in truck parts. It came with a 6 month warranty so I trust that they have good parts.

After installing the used compressor, replacing the orifice tube and recharging the system(emptied one whole can, this can didnt come with a gauge) it is not blowing cold. In fact it's 15 degrees warmer than the outside air.
I have felt the lines according to my Haynes manual and they are feeling exactly how the manual describes they should.

I put a pressure gauge that I had from a previous can of refrigerant on and it was reading 70psi which is in the red danger area of the gauge. When the compressor would cycle on the pressure would drop down to 30psi and then slowly climb back up to 70 until it cycled back on.

I decided that maybe the pressure was too high and lowered it down to 40psi which according to my gauge is within the full and ideal range.

However upon turning the AC back on the compressor now wont even cycle on. I think I lowered it too much.

Besides needed to recharge the refrigerant back up to a level to get the compressor to come on, what besides the compressor itself would cause it to not be blowing cold?

Maybe I need to take the compressor back and exchange it for a different one?

Thanks
You have air in your system. YOu need to evacuate the system and then recharge. And your car should take about 4 cans not only 1.