Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

DIC customization not working/Gear position not showing

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2011, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIC customization not working/Gear position not showing

Hello i just bought a used 2007 Impala and im having some problems with it. First question is for anyone with this same model 2006+ does a green box show around your gear when you shift ex. from park to drive?

With my car there is no green box to show what gear i am in i see all of the gears, P N D and so on but when i shift into them nothing happens i pretty much have to guess if its in drive or listen to the shifting. The car drives fine just doesnt show what gear im in. I was also trying to change some of the settings on the DIC customization but it keeps saying FEATURE SETTINGS AVAILABLE IN PARK. Im guessing its not working because the car doesnt know its in park because of that light doesnt work..just a guess though..ive searched the forum and cant find any answers someone please help.
Old January 27th, 2011, 9:22 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you purchase this vehicle from a private party or a strictly used vehicle lot or did you purchase the vehicle as part of our Certified Used Vehicle program? If it was through the latter you should be able to get this fix covered under the 12 month 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, under normal circumstances. I hope this information helps you and if you run into any more issues feel free to contact me.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

This dosen't help you fix it but it may help explain...it describes symptoms of the PRNDL going blank and not just showing which gear is selected but it may give some direction...

2007 Chevrolet Impala | Impala, Monte Carlo (VIN W) Service Manual

PRNDL Display
The instrument panel cluster (IPC) displays the selected gear position as determined by the engine control module (ECM). The IPC receives a serial data message from the ECM indicating the gear position. The PRNDL display blanks if:

• The ECM detects a malfunction in the transmission range switch circuit.

• The IPC detects a loss of serial data communications with the ECM.

• The IPC detects a loss of serial data communications with the body control module (BCM).
Old January 28th, 2011, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
This dosen't help you fix it but it may help explain...it describes symptoms of the PRNDL going blank and not just showing which gear is selected but it may give some direction...

2007 Chevrolet Impala | Impala, Monte Carlo (VIN W) Service Manual

PRNDL Display
The instrument panel cluster (IPC) displays the selected gear position as determined by the engine control module (ECM). The IPC receives a serial data message from the ECM indicating the gear position. The PRNDL display blanks if:

• The ECM detects a malfunction in the transmission range switch circuit.

• The IPC detects a loss of serial data communications with the ECM.

• The IPC detects a loss of serial data communications with the body control module (BCM).
Thank you for that information it actually was helpful. So do you think the problem is with the ECM? Also i have noticed the car has a slight transmission problem where ill have to press a little harder on the throttle to get it to move and at higher speeds it feels as if the clutch is slipping a little bit do you think the transmission problems could be the cause of the problem with the DIC? Also do you know of any way to maybe reset the ECM to see if that"ll fix the problem?
Old January 28th, 2011, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Did you purchase this vehicle from a private party or a strictly used vehicle lot or did you purchase the vehicle as part of our Certified Used Vehicle program? If it was through the latter you should be able to get this fix covered under the 12 month 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, under normal circumstances. I hope this information helps you and if you run into any more issues feel free to contact me.

No unfortunately i bought it from a strictly private party so no warranty but i got a very good deal on it though so i knew i would have to do some repairs just dont really know where to start with this one.
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well it looks like you're getting quite a bit of assistance from in2pro. I apologize but I am unable to assist with the diagnosis or any kind of guidance in fixing the vehicle for yourself but if you'd like to get into contact with our Customer Assistance Center you can go through me or speak with them on the phone. Their number should be in your owners manual. I hope that either way you get the help you need.