Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Camshaft play 350

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2020, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft play 350

I'm asseblying my fisrt motor, Gen 1 small block. I have the cam and timing set installed and was degreeing. I'm noticeing that the camshaft lobs are shifted to the rear of the lifter bores. Without the distributor installed I have around 1/4 to 3/8 play in the camshaft front to back with the chain installed. I know the lifters pull the cam towards the back of the motor but how much is normal.
Q: Does the distributor help center the camshaft in the bores when it is installed?
Old November 22nd, 2020, 3:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilotpat
I'm asseblying my fisrt motor, Gen 1 small block. I have the cam and timing set installed and was degreeing. I'm noticeing that the camshaft lobs are shifted to the rear of the lifter bores. Without the distributor installed I have around 1/4 to 3/8 play in the camshaft front to back with the chain installed. I know the lifters pull the cam towards the back of the motor but how much is normal.
Q: Does the distributor help center the camshaft in the bores when it is installed?
Nope. You should have about .003" lift on the cam shaft to bearing the distributor will not make any difference.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 3:55 PM
CF Monarch

You are probably ok with the thrust.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks both for the quick replys.
Next question I guess is that are the lobes location towards the back of the bores normal? I pretty sure the crank sprocket is on fully and regardless the cam is against the thrust surface of the block when I'm noticing this condition.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 4:38 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Pilotpat
Thanks both for the quick replys.
Next question I guess is that are the lobes location towards the back of the bores normal? I pretty sure the crank sprocket is on fully and regardless the cam is against the thrust surface of the block when I'm noticing this condition.
Cam lobes are going to be aligned with the crank shaft. You will have to align the big gear (cam) to the small gear. Will be a mark to align them, make sure you have them correct. You can google this for reference.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Rgr that and thanks.