Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Can I put an inline pump to a gas can in the back of truck?

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2018, 1:03 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I put an inline pump to a gas can in the back of truck?

Hi, I have a 2003 GMC sierra 1500. This old truck is not on the road and is used as a plow truck only. Recently the fuel pump has died. Because this truck is occasionally used for 4 months of the year, having such a big tank for gas to go bad in or collect water has been a concern. We have so far left the tank full for the summer with a stabilizer to prevent moister in the tank, but we are looking for a better way. We want to put a 10 gallon gerry can in the box of the truck with a inline fuel pump and filter, so we can just empty the gerry can at the end of the season. No worries about old gas etc. The fuel pressure required is about 60psi. Can I just get an inline pump and filter and run the line into the Gerry can? Is it that simple or is there something else I should take into consideration? Thanks for your help!
Old October 8th, 2018, 3:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It will work, for safety reasons, I'd not recommend it.
Old October 8th, 2018, 7:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

50$,pump only on eBay,and it's acdelco,I'm gonna get one for my 02,my guage works fine,worth a shot
Old October 9th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the fuel pump dying has nothing to do with bad gas or a big tank sitting for a year...not on a modern fuel injected engine. inline fuel pump ok... but to a Gerry can is not something I would do.
its your truck, do want to want but no one should approve this type of repair.
trade magazines have pictures of all the stuff backyarders do...tie rods attached with duct tape, lumber to support overloaded springs. your idea sounds like a leak waiting to happen.

Last edited by tech2; October 9th, 2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old October 9th, 2018, 7:48 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Make sure you have a big fire extinguisher near by.
Old October 9th, 2018, 8:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

acd1002, is the part# for pump only,on eBay,50$,globalauto Miami,my module is fine,yours could be too,keeps the cost down
Old October 9th, 2018, 9:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

It would be better if you got a small 10 gallon or so gas tank from a small car and installed that in the car. You could also add a drain to the tank to remove the gas when not in use. I think this would be much safer.