Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Chevi Apache 1958

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2019, 7:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevi Apache 1958

Hi all, first of all a happy new year to everyone. I own a 1958 Chevi Apache with V8 283 cu inch engine and three on tree transmission. I would like to reduce the engine speed. I guess the easiest way would be to change the rear axle ratio. I searched trough the web but unfortunately cannot find any useful info regarding the OEM axle ratio or what which axle ratio would solve my problem. Thanks in advance and greetings from Switzerland. Sascha
Old January 6th, 2019, 2:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Changing the differential won't change the engine speed, just the vehicle speed, is that what you are asking?
Old January 6th, 2019, 3:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Changing the differential won't change the engine speed, just the vehicle speed, is that what you are asking?
I think he wants to lower engine RPM's if I am reading this correctly.
Old January 6th, 2019, 6:14 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Sascha
Hi all, first of all a happy new year to everyone. I own a 1958 Chevi Apache with V8 283 cu inch engine and three on tree transmission. I would like to reduce the engine speed. I guess the easiest way would be to change the rear axle ratio. I searched trough the web but unfortunately cannot find any useful info regarding the OEM axle ratio or what which axle ratio would solve my problem. Thanks in advance and greetings from Switzerland. Sascha
I had no luck in a search of the 1958 Chevy Apache axle or differential in the US. The highest gear ratio for a pickup in later GM year models was a .308.to one, but a 3.42 ratio is more common with a ratio of 3.73 being more common then that .I cannot find any information on what gear ratio's were used on your Apache at all. It may be quite expensive to find such an old unit, but I do not know that for sure. Ich habe mein Bestes gegeben, um es zu finden.
Old January 6th, 2019, 7:49 PM
CF Monarch

Ok, I get it, higher ratio rear end, lower rpm. I don't know what he has in it, or what he wants to do other than lower the engine rpm, but I'd go with a 3.73 myself
Old January 6th, 2019, 8:11 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Ok, I get it, higher ratio rear end, lower rpm. I don't know what he has in it, or what he wants to do other than lower the engine rpm, but I'd go with a 3.73 myself
Me too, but I couldnt find any info on the Apache gear ratio's or where to find the gears.
Old January 6th, 2019, 9:06 PM
CF Monarch

I'd say pull the rear cover, and count the gears, that would tell what he has. I'd also suggest if he's wanting to replace it, go with one already built, not try to shim etc. yourself. I was in Geneva last summer, they got some great stuff! I caught a pix of a pre 55 23 window VW bus.
Old January 6th, 2019, 10:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You should be able to find it in this owners manual. It does say 3.9 and an optional one of 3.7.
http://freeshopmanual.com/uploads/pd...uck-OM-ocr.pdf
Old January 7th, 2019, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your fast feedback. As you might know Geneva is located in the french part of Switzerland. Every year they organize one of the biggest carshows in Europe. But myself I was always more interested in old iron. Could you pls have a look on the kit I found. The owner manual was also a great help. Thanks!

Old January 7th, 2019, 2:43 PM
CF Monarch

That's fine a 3.38 if that's what you want. You will also, or should consider replacing axle bearings. You also will have to deal with gear mesh which will require shimming the ring gear to the pinon for proper gear mesh. Good luck!